Thread: Immunisation and Panadol

Default Immunisation and Panadol

Jesse is having his first immunisation tomorrow and was just wondering if it helped to give some panadol prior? Im pretty sure i read somewhere on here that some had done this with their baby.
    Also are there a lot of side effects? Like will he be unsettled or sick afterwards?

I personally would say not. I don't think its necessary. It doesn't take away from the pain of the injection. And its best to see what side effects there are before giving panadol than after iykwim?

ETA: Just to clarify what i mean is i would rather wait and see what side effects their were (if any as most times there isn't) rather than have panadol possibly mask them.

*hugs*
    Cailin

I agree with Cai, I would wait to see how he is after the injection, so you can gauge what level his side effects at, and if he needs panadol at all.

Yep - we waited to see. I had a bottle of EBM at the ready and that took most of the initial pain away, but to be honest Jenna had a really bad reaction to her first set. It could ahve been a virus that she had at the same time though.
    Good luck - Do you have someone to go with you? I found it horrible. I beleive I remember crying Poor little bubby.

Ok cool.. yeh i will wait.. are side effect common?

No im going myself tomorrow morning with him unfortunately.. im sure i will shed a tear.. im very protective of my lil man

Thanks for the info.
    Last edited by ShootingStar; November 8th, 2006 at 02:43 PM.

I'm not sure how common the side effects are.... Aidyn usually did develop a mild fever after his shots.

Goodluck for tomorrow... *hugs*

When I had Viv immunised 9 years ago, the common practice was to give them Panadol 1/2 hr before the shots. Now, when I went to get Blake done and told my GP I'd done that with Blake he said here was no need.

Just keep an eye on him to see if there's any adverse reactions - normal it's only a temp - and treat accordingly.

I'm sure both you and Jesse will be fine.

When I had Nina immunised, they gave me a sheet with the possible side effects on it, and told us to look out for anything that wasn't on it. We didn't give her panandol before either. I fed her just after the needles which calmed her, and had the panadol on hand that night in case we needed it, which we didn't. Nina did get very sooky and clingy with me for about a week afterwards.

I had the same experience, it was common to give panadol 1/2 hr before when my older 2 were babies. I did that with Riley's 2 month needles but not with 4 months and to be quite honest there was no difference so I wouldn't bother with the before dose again.

I had it suggested that we give paracetamol half an hour before too, but we never bothered and waited to see what happened. A quick BF has been pretty effective for settling DD after all of them so far.

For the first lot I didn't give Em anything and he had a fever, went off his food and reacted quite badly in general for around 4 days. For the second lot I gave him panadol half an hour before and he was didn't react at all and no fever. I can't imagine that the panadol stopped all that but he definitely dealt with it better the second time then the first.

I gave Luke panadol 1/2 an hour proir to all his injections and he had no fever or reaction. Maybe he didn't need the panadol but I felt better giving it to him because I had heard some stories of fevers etc. I think these days most people wait and see if they need it though.

Alexzander has been fine with all of his & hasn't had panadol beforehand, a bit cranky afterwards, but all in all fine.

And don't worry if you cry, I cried more than Zander did at his

Baby_Crazy05 Guest

With all Jovi's needles we gave her just a half dose about 1/2 hour beforehand. If she had a reaction later we would've given her the other half, but she's been pretty good.

Bit sooky. and now she knows what happens when she goes to the dr's and has to take her pants off ... poor little bugger. No more for 6 months yeah!!!

Thanks guys for the info.
    I made DH take the day off work and come with me as i was a little worried about it all last night.

Needles went ok, i didnt give him any panadol, but he screemed the house down the poor lil guy. He was ok a little while after with me just cuddling him and i sat in the back of the car with him on the way home and he had this little look on his face like mum what just happened to me, with tears in his eyes (and just as much in mine too! ). He didnt take his eyes off me as he fell asleep.

The dr gave me a sheet with the side effects on it to look out for.
    I will keep an eye on him and see how he goes. Im kinda glad its a coolish day today incase he does happen to get a fever.

Fee Guest

We gave Cooper Baby Panadol just before his injections but I now wish I didn't. I just think it wasn't necessary ... and we did not need to give him Panadol after either. So in his whole life he's only had Panadol that one time.

He's nearly due for his 4 month needles and I won't be giving Panadol beforehand, only after if I think he needs it.

Gosh it's so traumatic though isn't it?! I cried!

It totally is Fee.. i think its just seeing our little ones hurting is the worst. Like i was saying to DH, his cry and screams were actually from pain rather than him just having a tanty. I think it upsets me more than him aswell! Ahh the life of a mummy

I've never given Ella any panadol prior her injections, usually a quick BF afterwards always calms her down straight away. Personally i don't feel comfortable giving her unecessary medications and agree with feeling safer with not masking any side effects.... and it's not harmful to build up their pain tolerance anyway. At her last immunisation she didn't even flinch - brave bubba...did a lot better than me