Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Immunization for baby safe?

Default Is Immunization for baby safe?

I have always thought immunization was essential and worthwhile, however, my friend who recently gave birth was told by one of the midwives that the Hep B immunization has been linked to the development of autism in some children - something about levels of mercury. She went ahead and had the shots anyway, but the idea is still niggling at her. Is there any scientific/concrete evidence to support this "theory"? I would feel more at ease if my baby was immunized but not if there was risk of developing a condition like autism.

There is heaps of information on the internet that you can research for yourself and find out what is the best course of action for you and your baby. Ive found so much but you really do have to sift through the bias...for and against. I have found that still many studies are discredited despite all the facts leading to a certain conclusion but at least you can be armed with knowledge..knowledge is power!

Jo

just moving to the baby and toddler forum

This isnt answering your question regarding autism, but Jesse is immunised and i wouldnt hesitate with any future children.. for 2 reasons that i read in M&B and totally agree on..
    1. giving them the needles they are less likely to catch that desease if there are any cases in the community,
    and 2. If enough people are immunised the infection can no longer be spread, so the disease will die out altogether. This is why smallpox has been eliminated.

This is another one of those personal choice subjest though..

My daughter is autisistic as a direct result from an immunisation, but it wasn't the hep b. There are a few threads on here with lots and lots of heated posts if you'd like to waft through them. here is a link but I can't find the monster one - maybe one of the mods can help out.

Whatever you decide I would definitely not give the baby the hep b straight after birth unless you are in a high risk environment. Its unnecessary and such a shock to the baby's system when its little body is experiencing so many others.

Its not just the mercury, which has been reduced to almost non existent in Australian Childrens vaccines. Antifreeze, formaldehyde, phenol, human diploid cells from aborted fetal tissue and lots of other yuckies are in most vaccines we give our kids. Aluminium is also another one and some studies have established a link between aluminium and Alzheimers disease.

Many sites will scaremonger and many others will say there is no risk at all. As Jo said, sort through it so you can make an informed decision on whats best for your child.
    Last edited by hannanat; April 8th, 2007 at 07:01 AM.

I agree it is going to have to be a personal choice.

For me, I found the risk of a side effect from the immunisation was a lot lower than the effects bub would endure if she caught any of the actual diseases.

Whooping cough went through work a few years ago, and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy, let alone a young baby, so for me I had to immunise my DD as I didn't want to see her in that state.

DD #1's now 9 and is a "perfect" child (apart from the whingeing, arguing, etc etc...!) with no ill effects.

Following on from what Kell said, if people weren't immunised, some of those horror diseases out there would still be around in full force. I met a woman who had suffered polio as a child and she had no use of her right arm. NICE. I'm so glad you never hear of cases like that these days.

Of course some children who are immunised do have side affects, and they're not nice. That's why you need to ensure you have all of the facts before you make a decision either way so you can weigh up the risks.

Whilst I don't totally agree with it, my SIL chose to "naturally" immunise her son through a naturopath. I'm not sure of what was involved etc though.

So if you were going to give a few "select" vaccinations, which ones would you give? polio? Menigoccocal? and when should they be given? 6mths? 3yrs? I'm happy to forego the Hep B straight away, surely there is a time when the baby is old enough to have this vaccination or any other vaccination and it not triggering autism? Upto how old is a child susceptible to developing autism from a vaccination?

You can give them if and when you like. If I were to vaccinate I would space them right out, never give the MMR in one go, and go naturopathic or homeopathic where possible.

Also when you do your research, check who sponsored or conducted the testing. Vaccines are big business.

You need to weigh up the perceived risk of possible side effects from immunisation (that occur in a tiny percentage of cases) against the possible risks of leaving your child unimmunised against potentially DEADLY diseases.

I vaccinate my children because I know a lot of other ppl do not, I'm not prepared to risk my child getting those diseases that are becoming more statistically prevalent (in Australia we were very close about five years ago to having another measles epidemic).

I saw a show a while back with a little girl who got chickenpox but hadn't been vaccinated and the dose she got was so severe she almost died. She had it inside her body (her throat etc.) as well as the usual outside...but REALLY bad. Her mother was horrified and got the vaccinations done after.

I spoke to the midwife about the risks (cos I do know someone who is disabled due to vaccination) and she asked how old he was (he's in his late 20's) and she said that they have actually changed what used to be the most common causes for this from the vaccinations now so the risk of a severe reaction is even LESS than it used to be. I battled a bit over to get Oskar done or not, but I came to the conclusion that the risk is so small compared to a higher possibility of getting something (measles/chickenpox etc.) and having such a severe dose of it that he could die.

Re: the Hep B..apparently it is really easy to contract as it's spread as easily as a child playing with a toy and the next child putting it in their mouth.

Caro...our book here is red not purple, so Lilli's may be a different colour.

Each to their own, but I am big believer in immunisation. Both of mine are fully immunised. DD1 chose to have chicken pox immun at 8 because she didn't like the thought of chicken pox! All others have been my choice.
    I understand if someone's child has autism they may link it to immunisation, but for me it's a bit like childbirth, there is always a risk, just depends on the odds and what you choose to do. I would hate myself to the ends of the earth if my child got autism and it was linked to immunisation, but I would hate myself the same if my child got a disease that I could've avoided.
    xoxoxo
    Ps sorry, i am not saying it's the parents fault or someone should hate themselves for something out of their control. Don't mean to offend anyone, just my thoughts. xoxo

Milo is up to date with his immunistaions.

However, he did not have his hep b or vit k on the same day he was born, not on the same days as each other, I think one was on day 2 and the other day 3 or 4.

I agonised over the MMR and tried a lot of places to see if I could get it broken up into seperate vaccines (even tried the RCH here in Melb) but with no luck. In the end I decided that if he couldn't have them seperately that I would give him the combined vaccine.

There is a common misconception that being vaccinated prevents you from getting the illness. This is not always the case, but is does mean that your body can recognise the virus and produce the correct antibodies faster so the infection will be milder.

When I was a kid, chicken pox did the usual round through the school. My brother and I caught it and got the rash, a few days off school and were fine. A family aquaintance didn't have her daughter vaccinated and she spent two weeks in ICU after becoming infected.

It is a personal decision, but I can't take the risk and my baby will be vaccinated.

I am another pro-vaccination mother. I would rather deal with the minute chance that Jett would have issues with a vaccination than a high chance he would catch any one of the numerous diseases they are immunised against and be severely incapacitated or even die.

That said, Jett has a bad reaction to his 4mth vaccinations but I am still pushing ahead with them. I did think abut delaying them a bit if he had another reaction at his 6mth ones but he was a-ok.

The practice nurse who did Jett's vaccinations told me an interesting fact about why they insist on putting the needles in their legs and NOT their bottom like we all had. Apparently there is a nerve attached to the spinal cord that runs through your bottom and in a baby/small child it is not properly protected like it is when your older and many a child had ill effects from vaccinations because the needles hit this nerve and cause damage. That may be where all the anti-vaccination information has stemmed from since we were kids!

ETA - Tanya - I dont think there is any proof that any case of autism was 'caused' by vaccinations as opposed to being exaccerbated by having a child vaccinated. I truly believe that if something like that occurs in a child its probably been there from birth and just been brought to attention by a trigger, whatever it may be.

Tanby -
    It is generally around the 9month to 1year mark that children who are autistic start to show symptoms which is probably what prompted your doctor to comment on it. I believe that is one of the reasons the MMR gets so much attention - because symptoms of autism arise around the same time as that particular immunization.
    Both of my parents, my step-mother, and a very good friend are all registered nurses, plus another friend is a lab technician and her husband is a GP so I am VERY pro immunization. So much so that DH and I enrolled DS in an immunization study at the childrens hospital. As a parent I take risks every day with the decisions I make for DS - some are more risky than others - I admit - but I feel that the risks of the immunizations are much smaller then the risks of the diseases themselves. Just my personal opinion...

There are two types of autism - one is apparent from birth and the other is regressive. In regressive autistics the baby develops normally and then all of a sudden loses the speech, eye contact etc that they already had.

Anna, I agree and have posted previously regarding predisposition in kids who are affected by immunisation, but how do we know which baby will be affected and which won't. I have 7 kids, all except 1 immunised to some extent with Layla being the only one who had a reaction.

The incidence of autism used to be 1 in 10000 - its now around 1 in 150. The rise directly corresponds with the introduction of a heavier vaccine schedule over the last 20 years or so. We will see it decline again with the removal of most of the mercury from the vaccines, but it will still be high.

For those that say the risk is small, I agree and respect your decision to immunise - like I said my kids were immunised before it changed our lives - BUT it really makes me angry when people say that there's no connection. Tell that to the thousands of parents who have photographic and video evidence of a normal, socially interactive child who changed into a zombie within hours of having a vaccine, or who screams in pain for hours on end. I know of 8 yr old kids that this has happened to. Please don't dismiss out of hand what you don't understand.

Very well said Natalie.

Ashlea is immunsied, to be honest I never gave it a second thought. Knowing now what I know and having heard everything about immunisations i'm sure i'd still go through with them if i was to have a second child, but this time with more knowledge.
    I never thought to question the schedule, or the immunisations themselves. To me that was how it was and therefore you do it. Ash is 5 now and doesn't have anymore needles til much later on, but now i'm more worried about my 1 year old nephew everytime he's had his needles.
    I would consider the idea of asking for the immunisations spaced out more and in seperate dosed if there was to be a 'next time' though.

Natalie, I totally agree with you. You have your proof, you live with her everyday. And as much as I know you love Layla, I am sure if you could have that day over you sure wouldn't have went.

I chose not to give Tehya her hep b at birth nor the viatmin k shot. I felt that she did not need nor require them.

No I hadn't looked much further into the immunisation schedule and I feel rather foolish for it. I, like many others just did what I was told needed to be done. I questioned so many things to make sure that Tehya had a good and safe birth, the same as I will do for this baby. I am sorry though, that I was ignorant in following up any further information regarding immunising my children.

You completely have my support, love and back up regarding any of this. I am in total agreeance with you. It's not just because of our friendship either. It is because of my firm believe in the link to autism from immunisation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast