Thread: Inside activities for rainy days?

Melinda Guest

Default Inside activities for rainy days?

Ok......Jacob is definitely an outdoors boy so winter is going to be hard. I don't mind taking him outside, provided it's not actually raining etc at the time (I'll just rug him up and change clothes later if needs be).

BUT, considering we do live in Hobart after all, rain is fairly standard during winter ROFL.

Can anybody give me some suggestions for indoors activities for a very active/busy 19 month old??? I really feel that we're having a few tantrums ATM through lack of stimulation.........it's been a miserable couple of days here so not much outside time at all!!!

Certain activities don't seem to be that great for him ATM e.g. drawing (he tries to eat the crayons or rip the paper to shreds but this is an activity I try to persist with), playdough (he tries to eat the playdough), painting (he tries to eat the paint or throws the brushes with the paint on them around the place). He will draw on his chalkboard with chalk for brief periods. Any other activities that anybody can think of.......he's got a ball pit, a toy car which he adores getting in and out of, lots of books and other toys, blocks/lego stuff but he gets bored very quickly and needs to change activities.......

Matilda will spend heaps of time flipping through old magazines, its a bit random but she loves the different pictures etc...mainly fashion mags too LOL

What else.... we do heaps of artwork that Jacob isn't into. But I try to divide up activities and spend 10-15 minutes on one activity at a time and then quickly move on until we find something she wants to work at for a while.

Here's another thread where a few were discussing inside activities too

Melinda Guest

Oooh Jacob loves magazines too. He loves it when he finds pictures of babies in them - he kisses and cuddles the picture and goes "awwww" LOL

Yeah we start off using them as language builders, we say "Matilda, where is her nose?" or "point to the shoes" And then she goes from there, she loves the old practical parenting mags I had on the shelf too..

What about making a cubby house under the table or something. last year for Erin's birthday we got her an indoor play cottage and it was the best thing we ever brought. ATM Kids Central (formerly Early Learning Center ) is having a huge sale and they have a rocket ship pop up cubby for only $50. Jill Bull has a Rainy Day activity book too.

I don't let the kids do this one often, but sometimes I will darken the loungeroom and give them a torch to run around with.

oooh T is bored too how awfull is this weather we have special toys that only come out on wet days like floor puzzles and T loves dressing and undressing his "bubba" baby doll so i often go through his old teeny clothes
    we have been wathing waaay too much wiggles and reading alot of books also
    just wondering do you make your own playdoh ?? i love the smell of `the shop bought one but the homemade ones like the cream of tartar recipe have heaps of salt in them and kids dont like the taste much
    i have been thinking of experimenting with getting T some fingerpaint i think hes ready for that now (just not sure my carpet is)

mooshie Guest

well only the other day my ds and i made a great cubby out of chairs, pegs and sheets - lani loved it, the two of them then sat in it to have their morning tea, and i even managed to get the ironing done pmsl.

i make the home made playdoh, lani is quite good she doesn't put anything in her mouth (including food) oh gosh i am in a silly mood tonight lol.

another good texture type activity is a can of cheap shaving cream squirt it onto a play table or onto some plastic on the floor, add a few drops of food coloring and there you go - great finger painting activity without as much mess.

oh on the toy front, lani found ds old mr potato head the other day and it keeps her occupied for hours.

ummm this may sound really stupid but i used to let my ds do this to let off steam when he was getting bored on a rainy day - dress him up in all is raincoat, gumboats, hats and just let him go outside and run around for a couple of minutes in the rain then jump into puddles - he would then come back inside and get all warm again - maybe i am a naughty mum sending my child outside in the rain but he just loved to run around in it, however 5 mins was the maximum and always the wet weather gear was on lol.

ds always loved his matchbox cars as a toddler - he got 1 a week from around 12mths of age (he has quite a collection lol) he used to spend hours driving his cars around on a car playmat rug, he had a wooden service station with a ramp and he would always love to play with that.

nothing beats a picnic inside, put down a rug and have some good food but also a little treat - a great tea party.

if i think of any more i will let you know, there is a good book around i think it is called 501 tv free activities (think it is a dk book) not sure, maybe search around on the net.

hope i have given some good ideas and not crazy ones sorry

wow they are some great ideas .... IKYIM about the matchbox cars , i had promised to buy T a new one the other day but in the shop i could only see one he didnt have
    do you have those mega blocks sets ? we have a farm and a castle and we often swap them with my friend who has a pony stable and a pirate ship ... they are great though the noises get a little annoying (for me) T loves them