Thread: Interstate plane travel and holiday with 6 month old .. tips

Default Interstate plane travel and holiday with 6 month old .. tips

Hi - we plan on going to Queensland in May and Alex will be 6.5 months old.

He will have started on solids by then, but I still plan to be breastfeeding.

Just wondering about stuff to take - do you take a weeks supply of nappies or buy them up there ? If I want to have a night out with Nick, should I take some formula or buy it up there ? (I don't want to express while I'm away)

Should we hire a high chair or get a rocker that he can eat while sitting in ?

Tips please on travel and holidaying. It might be another eight yeras before we go away, I wanna be organised !

ta, Barb.

Barb, we went interstate when Jacob was 5 months old. We only went from a Friday to Sunday. We packed the nappy bag with twice as much as we normally would - nappies, clothes and all the normal bits and pieces then we had everything we needed for travelling there and back. The bag was still ok to have as carry on luggage if you're flying. I'm assuming that you are going for a week so I would buy nappies when you're there rather than packing a weeks worth.
    We took Jacob's car seat with us and used that to feed him in rather than taking something extra. I was still feeding Jacob but took some formula in an air tight container for the just in case - those formula tin lids aren't secure and boy it can make a mess!!
    Can't think of anything else now, but will pop in if I do.

We've travelled a few times wiht Jenna now, and my bigges tip would be - pack light!! Its so easy to take heaps of stuff and never use it, and if you are in QLD, its still nice and warm in May, so you should need more lighter stuff.
    Definitly buy nappies there. But take your formula upin your wown containers as Nat says - no leakage!

I would try and not stress about the solids side of things while you are away, maybe do more breastfeeding instead. Its cleaner, easier and cheaper, and portable! If not breast, than bottle, and just do a little bit of solids. Myabe once a day or something like that? We still had Jenna on our lap when we went out, but most places will have a highchair if you request it in advance.

If you are flying on a catered plane (like Qantas) ring and ask them to provide a baby meal if poss. Then you wont have to carry it.

Take a water sipper cup - bubs will need plenty of that in the heat.

Have a nice time ??

Fi

I just travelled with Maddy to Sydney from Brisbane for two days last week. All of the airlines for interstate travel do not charge children under 2 for a seat. Although they do not get their own luggage allowance; any paying adult can trade in 5kgs of their 20kgs allottment in order to bring along any number of things for baby/infant. ie. high chair, pram, car seat, portacot. There is no weight cut-off for these baby items once you have traded in your 5kgs. You are also allowed to bring along a changebag on plane (limited to the usual 7kg allowance) for the child.

Given how much of Maddy's bag (that went in with the usual luggage) was taken up by nappies (we use disposables), I would suggest you take enough for the plane trip and for immediate use once you arrive in Brisbane; then buy nappies at the first grocery store you find. Same deal for the formula; although perhaps you could buy a couple of those single serve formula sachets just in case?

Do you know where you are going to in Qld? We have both a high chair & bouncer that you can borrow for Alex if you'd like!

Oh and I'm sure plenty of people have mentioned previously, but breast feeding on take off & landings on planes reduce the air pressure problems on baby's ears. Maddy didn't make a peep with this approach.

Hi - thanks for all this - what does it mean when there is no weight cut off after 5kgs for baby luggage ? Does that mean I can take a cot and larger items ?

We're staying at Bribie Island - I'm not sure where it is, other than north of Brisbane.

Barb.

Hi - thanks for all this - what does it mean when there is no weight cut off after 5kgs for baby luggage ? Does that mean I can take a cot and larger items ?

We're staying at Bribie Island - I'm not sure where it is, other than north of Brisbane.

Barb.

Sorry Barb...didn't mean for the original post to be confusing.

Basically, every paying adult travelling within Australia is given a 20kg luggage allowance. If you have a child under the age of 2 travelling with you (not taking up their own seat), then you are able to trade in 5kgs of your own luggage allowance in order to take WHATEVER you need for the baby. Although you have traded in 5kgs of your own luggage allowance; this figure has no correspondance to what weight of items you bring for bubs. You can take any number of baby items such as prams, portacots, high chairs, strollers, car seats etc.

For example, Maddy and I flew to Sydney last week. As a paying adult I was entitled to a carry-on cabin bag and a 20kg allowance for a suitcase in baggage. As I was bringing Maddy; I limited my own suitcase to below 15kgs and therefore could bring Maddy's pram and a backpack for her. I was also allowed another carry-on cabin bag/change bag for Maddy for free.

Hope that makes sense!

Hmmm I went on holiday last November when my daughter was 6.5 months. We went from Adelaide to Sydney by car though the night (don't reccomend!) then we flew back from Newcastle to Melbourne then Melbourne to Adelaide.
    I didn't worry about solids, she wasn't a fan of them other then a slight taste anyway (shes only just getting better now) so I just breast fed her. On the plane trip back I used breastfeeds and a newborn dummy I had but never used prior just to make sure she doesn't have problems with her ears. She was really good on the plane and she had a bit of a cold too.

Oh and also I was on virgin and was told there was no limit for baby luggage, I had a pram, car seat you name it, no charge!