Thread: Interupted Sleep

Default Interupted Sleep

I was just wondering if anybody else has encountered this problem? Stewart has started waking up from his sleep about 1/2hr-3/4hr into his sleep, in the last couple of days. He usually sleeps through for two hours and Im not sure why he is waking up?
    If I give him some boiled water or his dummy he goes straight back to sleep, but he gets very cranky if I don't get to him quickly. What's going on??

I wish I had the answer Panna, Darcy has done this forever. She's the same gets cranky. Maybe is he cold. Sometimes it works for Darcy if I put a blanket on her.
    Apparently their body temp drops most during the day sleeps.

Thanks Kim, that's an interesting point, I'll try that. I've always been told that it is better to keep them cooler rather than warmer so they don't overheat, so maybe Ive been keeping him too cool?

Kirsty77 Guest

Gemma used to do it constantly at 3months of age. Not sure what caused it but I think she thought she was down for a nap not bedtime. I justs would put the dummy in and if she completely cracked it at me I'd pat her to sleep or last resort pick her up and rock her back to sleep.

Kynan went through a phase when he was younger where he would wake after each sleep cycle too (every 30-45 mins). Until he learnt how to resettle himself I had to do it for him (cuddle, BF, rocking, in the sling, whatever worked).

Jesse always wakes up about half hour into his day sleep.. no idea why. I just let him be, give him his dummy and he puts himself back to sleep.

It could be a growth spurt/new stage especially as it seems to happen to most of us at about 3 months of age. It seems that he is staying in a "light sleep" stage and not moving through to a deeper sleep? don't know if you are bf - but be careful of caffeine intake if you are. Also, maybe (?) keep him up for a bit longer during the day so he is more tired at nap and night time? My Rubystar is on the go most days and gets very tired when she needs to (!)

You are not alone! At 3 months of age my advice would be to listen for him to start stirring and go straight away and pat/rock him back to sleep. I found this did help my daughter to move peacefully from one sleep cycle to the next. Most importantly however, surround yourself with people who subscribe to the same parenting approach and avoid women who like to tell you that their children sleep like logs. This will only frustrate you. Hang in there. After all how many 17 year olds do u know that are still dependant on their mums for sleep?

Thanks for your advise guys!