Thread: Itchy Rash...

Default Itchy Rash...

We went to see the ECHN yesterday because Zander has a bad rash under his chin & behind one ear. She said it's just from all the dribbling & teething and that we need to go to the Dr to get something stronger to put on it cos nothing I've used has gotten rid of it.

Last night when he went to bed it must've started itching cos he was screaming & kept trying to sctratch it. Our Dr is booked out until the end of the month so can anyone suggest something that might help with the itch? We've tried Curash Anti-Rash Powder, Curash Anti-Rash Cream, baby moisturiser, Sorbelene, regular powder, Johnsons Baby Lotion & pawpaw cream......

rails2005 Guest

Hi Sarah,

sounds like you have tried almost everything i tried.
    If you wanted to go to the chemist you can get a low dose cortisone cream called Dermaid that is for minor skin irritations and itchy rashes.
    I used this on Elle when she was 3 months old - was told to by our GP for a similar reason. I know its Cortisone and you might not want to go there but its such a low dose 0.5%. Mind you its not really a long term solution but may help with Zander getting to sleep.
    Sorry i cant be more help.

I would suggest going to the chemist and asking them since your GP is booked out, i am sure they would have a solution. When he starts getting irritated though maybe but a cool wash cloth over the affected area just to ease it a bit for him.

mooshie Guest

hi sarah

lani had alot of this when she was around the same age as zander.

i suspect alot of lani's problems was the introduction of solids so i kept her food very bland for a while.

in the end i got a prescription for a cream called "elidel" it is a exema (sp) cream and cost around $40 for a small tube however the big advantage for us was it had no cortisone in it, it helped really well.

maybe change what you are bathing zander in - my kids have always had sensitive skin and i steer clear of the johnson and johnson products (although they smell sooooooo good) qv is good (but if you read the ingrediants it still has alot of chemical products in it) i have come accross a fantastic product called "natural instinct" i get it from my local chemist (they also have a website i believe) they have adults products and baby products and the stuff smells divine (lavender etc) and no chemicals whatsover.

i know it is hard, lani used to scratch herself around her neck so much it used to bleed, but after a few months it cleared up using the cream and changing her bath stuff - it sort of came and went and it seemed to happen alot when she had either potato or corn - she has potato now but yet to try again on corn although am thinking of that soon.

i used to post alot about this i think in the exema thread, you may find some useful info in there.

Sarah I feel for both you and Zander, your going through what we`re going through at the moment with flare up of excema and this dribble rash, I`ve been using aromababy barrier cream on his body plus papaw oitnment on his face plus I have just brought some cream which Brenda suggested, I can`t remember what it`s called now.

Just a note check expiry dates on everything I had brought some cream and after using it on Matthew I noticed it was out of date by 3 months, this made his skin flare up big time before I realised they sold me an expired product, I`d stay clear of the J J products and powders there are lots of chemicals used in these products.

Sarah,
    Eliza was scratching herself almost to bringing blood stage. I tried all the nomal creams and then the chemist said to try an antihestiphine to see whether it was a allergy rather than a skin iritation. Not that it is recommendeded we tried it for a few days and then saw the Pead, he thought it was a viral infection coming out of the skin, which still was driving us all nuts. I eventually took her back to my GP and was given a low dose cortisone cream..cleared up in 2 days and have another tube for flare ups. I'm not a big fan of coritsone but used very sparelingly has made a big difference
    Bec
    Still think it apples that does it!!

Custardtart Guest

Cortisone has a bad rep because your body retains it, but it really does have its uses. I had to use it during my first pregnancy because my body chemistry did something really weird, my perspiration went acidic and burnt my skin into huge blisters that itched, and I'd scratch them til they bled if I didn't use the cream to numb them.

I was worried about using it while I was pregnant, but there seemed to be no ill effects at all, either for me or the baby. I'd try it out -if your pharmacist agrees - if the rash is as bad as you say, you can get it over the counter at the pharmacy. Anything to get it healed and sealed - it sounds like your poor little bub is having a rough time of it.

Kerrie

Have you tried Bepanthen? It also moisturises if the rash is going flakey.

Sorry guys for not responding.

He's going well with plan old savlon for the moment & we have worked out it was a reaction to potato rather than just a regular rash.