Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Johnsons Baby Oil

Default Johnsons Baby Oil

Is it really bad like their other products with all the bad stuff in them?
    I have some here, want to give DD a massage but have no Olive Oil atm. Have lots of Johnsons stuff I got as gifts which I'm not using. The ingredients just say mineral oil and fragrance.
    Should I use some or just wait and get some olive oil?

I dont use anything like that on my kids, and would wait....

But I dont think it would hurt babe...

It is not very nice really, mineral oil is a by product of the petroleum industry from what I understand so not something I am comfortable putting on my DD.

You could use any vegetable oil, (Not peanut oil if you have that in the cupboard due to the peanut/allergy link!!) or just a basic basic sorbelene....

ETA: just a nice massage without oil might do the trick?

Righto, chucking that one in the bin too. Thanks girls!

Good idea!!! i used it on B and she came out in a rash everywhere! dont recommend it at all!!!

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

I'd steer way clear of ANY J&J products. Also, their caps aren't childproof (well when I saw it in the media not long ago). A baby had inhaled some of it and its fatal if they do. See if I can find the story online for you.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Find out how to have a BETTER, more confident birth experience... guaranteed!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

The Dangers of Baby Oil

Toxicologist Dr Naren Gunja from NSW Poisons Information Centre at Westmead Hospital says most parents don't realise the danger.

"Once the child has ingested it depending on how much they ingest then it could be too late. Over a period of time, the child can die," says Dr Gunja.

"It is a gradual process that can take several days, two weeks to die."
    And as well as that, petroleum based products are SOOOO bad for newborn, let alone any, skin. Yuk.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Find out how to have a BETTER, more confident birth experience... guaranteed!

i was told not to use vegetable oil by a pharmacist once, cant remember why. they said to use olive oil. i would just use sorbolene.

Sorbolene is also petrochemical products, I would go something organic for sensitive, delicate newborn skin.
    Kelly xx

if bubs accidently inhales any of that stuff it's fatal, will coat the inside of the lungs leading to a very slow death via suffocation. There is nothing they can do to fix it.
    No baby oils in this house, especially not J&J, might as well rub petrol on them.

How dissappointing, I didnt know that ALL j&j products were bad. I really love the pink cream for cleaning bums when they are little. I guess I will throw it away for the next bub. What about their powder? The cornstarch one is so soft and smells lovely.

What Are You Feeding Your Family's Skin?

We know that what we put on our skin enters the body - if it didn't, how do you explain the success of hormone replacement and nicotine patches? Take a look at the packaging of products you use and read the ingredient listing. You may find you need a chemistry degree to understand them. Do you really believe they are safe for you and your family?
    Kelly xx

Thanks for all the info everyone! I didn't know it could be fatal, how bloody stupid for something you put on your baby!!
    I knew all the J&J stuff was bad and told ppl but they still bought it for me, what a waste coz I haven't used any of it. Thought the oil might be ok coz it didn't say many ingredients but nope that one's going too!

i got so many j & j products from people... i am talking about 8 bottles of stuff. Do you think rather than throwing it i could just use them on me or are they bad for everyone?

ubba: I wouldn't use powder on bubs. They can inhale that too, which is dangerous. And any talc on the nappy region for girls is bad news - talc has links with cervical cancer. It does smell nice and I've heard people use it in their shoes for foot odour!
    Heaven: I got given loads of the stuff as well. It's such a waste! A friend did a course in baby massage and was expressly told the only thing NOT to use for babies is mineral (baby) oil! Go figure.
    Ali: Do you have sensitive skin? Personally, I'm not too fussed about what I put on my skin, so I'd probably use it (the soaps, not the powder or the oil). But then my skin isn't sensitive like my DD's is. The fragrances in the J&J stuff gave her horrific eczema.

Its such a minefield when you begin to look into it isn't it! I wasn't aware that sorbelene had a bad origin also.. alas.

I would be interested to know why vegetable oil is not recommended for babies as I can't think of a logical reason from my knowledge. It is generally recommended for general massage along with olive oil, just not great because of the viscosity in comparison to something like almond oil.

After all of this, to think, all you wanted to do was give your baby a massage! Amazing to think it is a bigger issue than it looks at face value !

MINERAL OIL = MAN MADE SH*T

its not good .. bin it now ..

sesame is perfect to use in massage . use pure cold pressed organic oil .... and dont use olive oil or anyother food grade oil . it is too think and will coat the skin and will stop the vitamins absorbing in to the skin it will also bloc pores and could cause irratations ...

if you want to massge bub , you can use a cream until you get something suitable ... just keep applying it if it runs out ...

please note , if you want a sleepy content baby .. do not massage a baby under 5 mths AFTER a bath , it will be too stimulationg resulting in a cranky over stimulated bub rather than a warm content bundle ...

try to massage baby in the moments after they first wake up from a nap ..and not just before a nap ..

also if you want a realxing massage use DOWNWARD strokes ... eg HIP TO ANKLE not ANKEL TO HIP ..

downward strokes are following the flow of blood and wont over excite ..

if you place your hands on babys chest , you will see a response .. if they are happy and looking at you its ok to massage that area . if their arms are moving in and away from the body , dont massage thier chest ...

ummm what else ... and no essential oils , if you massageing a baby under 12 mths ... it interferes with the bonding process thats occouring .... and it can be too strong for them ..

lastly .. do use an oil on your baby that you would be OK with if baby injested it ... ..

but oils made for injesting are not OK to massage with ... does that make sense .. ??

hth ...

:yeahthat:

Sesame oil is the best and organic is even better! Ds smelt like a yummy bird after his massages

And J&J is icky stuff never touched my babies bum and never will! But each to their own

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast