Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jolly Jumpers?

Default Jolly Jumpers?

Hi guys

Alex is an extremely wriggly, constantly moving baby whos favourite position is to be held standing up. A couple of people mentioned on the weekend that we should try him in a jolly jumper but b4 we go out and buy one does anyone have any recommendations/experiences/thoughts on these?? Any info would be appreciated.

does he have EXCELLENT HEAD support?? otherwise i wouldnt consider it. mine were abit older when we tried it.
    imo they are ok for fun for short bursts, but not as a babysitter. no developmental advantages at all

The jury appears to be out on whether they are safe or not, for babys hips.

We have a Jolly Jumper, and have used it for Olivia and Charlie (both absolutely LOVED it) and whilst it is in the shed at the moment, we will get it back out for Lexie when she is ready.......

Olivia would happily bounce in it for up to 30 mins (really handy when I wanted to get dinner prepped at around 6pm, in that cranky time before bath time!I would position the stand & the JJ in front of the kitchen so as I chopped I could chat to her!) and Charlie would happily stay in it for up to an hour......which I think is possibly too long, but he would get cranky if I tried to take him out of it!!

In terms of ages.Olivia was around 6 months when we introduced it, and Charlie was around 5 months........
    Last edited by Lucy; October 23rd, 2006 at 11:54 AM.

He is an extremely strong boy, especially in his neck and has been from birth. Constantly get remarks about his strength from docters/MCHN etc.

Wouldnt use it as a babysitter anyway but just as something different ot occupy him for a bit and maybe tire him out too!!

These are fantastic. I thought it was the ants pants. My son had really bad gastric reflux and it helped him with his wind pain enormously. They are hilarious to watch. All the kids that i know that have used one do get the jumpsies!!!. Even when they arent in it they would stand at the coffee table and hang on and bounce/jump.Wouldnt hesitate in using or recommending them.

Pauline

I love mine and use it arounf getting dinner ready time. Darcy has always been strong too, and I always make sure her legs are a bit bent and feet flat. She doesn't really jump, just turns around.
    We have a fischer price cot keyboard that we put under her and she loves to kick it.

my first didnt like it when I started it later - ut put Samuel in for a short time the other day and he loved it.

but as lucy said the jury is still out on whether they are good for them or not so I limit the time he's in it.

can often find them on ebay - if you don't get a frame though and want to use it inside you need to make sure you have the right style of door frames that have a lip. We lived in a unit block with DS number one and the frames were fully recessed so no lip and as we were renting we couldn't hang a bolt anywhere.

I think fisherprice also have one like it now that's in a frame - don't know the price comparison though.

I had one for Kaitlyn but I think she was about 6months when we got it for her. She really really enjoyed the time in it. I used to put a nursery rhyme cd on and she would bounce and I would sit and clap and sing to her . It was a great time for both of us . But I never put her in for more then 15mins a day as I had head it can be bad if used for longer.

Hey Gabysmum where have you been hiding ?!
    .. I really wanted to get Aneta a JJ aswell , but I was told by a doctor that they arent very beneficial for the babies back... also read on here that they encourage the baby to stand on their toes , which makes it a bit harder for them to walk later on
    I personally wouldnt have a clue if they are good for baby or not ... but im sure Aneta would love it too

For my first son I bought the original Jolly Jumper (the blue one) and that was fantastic. However for my second one I bought a more expensive one and it wasnt anywhere near as good at the Jolly Jumper. It didnt have as much spring so he just stood there. So I recommend getting the original one!

My mum has just given us one of these for Abby as her favourite thing to do right now is bounce. DF has put it together but she hasnt had a go yet- Mum also got her a Hop and Pop on the same day so shes been using that heaps (around an hr all up per day, was stressing as she was using tippy toes only and i already have concernes about her feet, but after the first day she was bouncing with feet flat! yay!!).

At our pregnancy classes the JJ was mentioned. The foot dr expert woman (forgot what they are called! LOL) said they were ok and perfectly fine to use, but only for a short time, say 30 mins a day because they use their tippy toes... just as enigma said above.

Ive always been a bit weiry about them, esp the ones that go around the door jam, that it would come off and hit the poor lil one in the head or something. I actually thought they were band.. but they mustnt be as they wouldnt be allowed to sell them. But in saying that my bestfriend and sister-in-law both used them for their kids and they loved them.. so i guess its just personal opinion.

Hi there

My nurse said that they are not good for there legs as they make the child walk on there tippy toes. Im not sure but I decided not to get one cause she said but she also said the same thing about walkers and my son loves his walker...He some times stands on his tippy toes but the I just take him out and stand him up and he is flat footed. I guess its up to you. Im also abit scared as it might fall.

Good luck

I started using one with Emerson around the same age as he was rather strong as well. I always make sure he is flat footed and he goes in until he gets grumpy - anywhere up to 1/2 an hour.

OT here but...

Shannon ~ Emerson sounds like he is taking after your Zianna!

Kim ~ Em only turns around too no matter how much I try to get him to jump LOL!

Enigma ~ OMG look at Aneta in your ticker! She has grown so much and she is gorgeous!!

We bought one for Nick when he was 4 months and he loved it, he would have been in there all day if i'd let him LOL
    Ryan on the other hand hated it, everytime i tried to put him in, he would scream, so i stopped in the end

We don't have a JJ but asked Flynn's osteo about them (he sees the head of infant osteo at the Vic Uni teaching clinic) and she said they are fine from an osteopathic point of view so long as they aren't left in them for hours at a time and their feet are flat on the floor rather than on tippytoes.

Thanks for all that info, a couple of friends have offered to lend us there JJ's in around a months time when DH goes to Perth so am hanging out till them. I really think that it is going to help him out as unlike DD who was an inactive baby DS is just always moving.

Oh and Charli I have seen the bvery same stands that you are talking about on e-bay.

yeh charli there is always numerous stands on ebay - they are often pickup only so it will depend on where you live - otherwise I think the baby stores could order them in - I haven't seen them in the general department stores.

Gabysmum - I put Samuel in for a similar reason - DS1 was happy to just lie around doing not much but young Samuel is much more of a goer and likes to stand or sit upright (in fact will lock his hips and knees to prevent you sitting him or lying him down easily on a very regular basis).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast