Thread: Jumpy Baby - How Normal Is It, If At All

Question Jumpy Baby - How Normal Is It, If At All

Not quite sure how to explain this, but basically bub can get like a jumpy twitch through his body. It isn't like a startle reflex as it will happen when he is snuggly wrapped. It is his whole body having little convulsion twitch type movements.
    It can happen for a minute, or go on for 20mins, and is happening right now quite bad. It isn't cold and he isn't too hot, his temp is 36.4

Any ideas on what it might be, or if I should get it checked out??? I forgot to ask the health nurse on our checkup

Thanks

I would defintely get it checked... it's probably nothing (just normal adjustments to the outside world), but worth knowing for sure!

Hi Belle, is your DS conscious when this happens, alert or easily rousable? If he is then I would not be too concerned, mention it next time you see the health nurse or your GP. If he is not rousable (if you gently rub your fingers on his chest and call his name and he doesn't respond at all) then you need to have him seen immediately. What are his eyes doing when he twitches? Are they looking around and seem to be taking things in or are they unfocused or rolled back into his head?

Nickle - it generally happens when he is asleep, as it is now. I can't wake him but that isn't totally unusual, but he is responding to me touching his lips, feet, undressing him and he is moving normally - with the addition of the jump

Belle, If he is responding to you (your touch or your voice) it is probably nothing to worry about, simply an immature nervous system. I would definitely mention it to your health nurse or GP next time you see them though so that they can check him over thoroughly and put your mind at ease. If your mobile phone has a video function, maybe record him when he is doing it so that they can see exactly what you are describing (10 or 15 seconds would be enough).

He is gorgeous, by the way, congratulations!