Thread: just had a complete freak out :(

Default just had a complete freak out :(

I'm still shaking. About 10 mins ago dd woke up from her nap and was sobbering a bit in bed. I grab a glass of water and start walking up to feed her.
    Then she started the distressed cry, I freaked out, dropped everything and ran up there, her face was red and she was gasping for air, I didnt know what to do, I tried to blow air in her face so she could remember to breathe, nope.
    I pick her up and give her lots of cuddles and she is still GASPING for air! (I am in tears already) I was in such desperation I ran outside so I could run to the neighbours.
    But when I got to the letterbox, she had finally got some air into her and was wimpering. Im now feeding her.
    Is this a normal thing to happen? She has done the distressed cry maybe 3 times and she has never lost her breath for that long ever! I dont know what I would have done if she didnt take in a breath and the neighbours wern't home.

How scary hun! Big hugs, I got stressed out just reading it, can only imagine how you're feeling

A friend of mine used to pinch her daughter when she lost her breath - not viciously, just enough to make her gasp and start up the breathing again. It might also be an idea to do a child first aid course, so you're confident in your ability if it happens again

how scary for you! does she have ay the blocked nose at all? We had a smiliar thing happen to us with dd1, we rushed her to hospital and by the time we got their she was fine but it was because she was blocked up and at that age they can't breathe through their nose.

Oh! What a scare! I don't really know what to suggest, but sometimes the small pinch could work, the same as going outside in to the cooler air. Just something to make them stop and go, hang on! Oh, yeah, breath normal.

I second the first aid course, and would suggest you asking a dr what it could be, and the best course of action, just in case there is a next time.

More

Thanks girls, I dont think she has a blocked nose, she is fast asleep on me now. She looked so scared before because she couldnt breathe. I just felt so helpless
    I will do a first aid course, I was actually thinking last week that I really should learn how to do cpr.

Good. The course isn't hard, and its good piece of mind. Glad she has settled down again for you.

My ds used to do this all the time. It was like he was upset and took that big breath in to scream out but he just couldnt exhale properly. The first time he did it DH wasnt home and i freaked out big time so i know how you feel. What always worked for us was either a loud hard clap of the hands right in his face - it kind of startled him into taking a breath or i would splash water onto his face. The water was the last resort but worked a treat. Once he didnt breath for so long he turned completely blue and went limp in my arms and i started mouth to mouth on him. First breath and he came good but dear me that was the worst ever, i still feel paniced thinking about it. We have had him fully checked out and they couldnt find anything wrong. Apparently my dh used to do the same when he was a baby. Ds hasnt done it since about 15 months old. Big squishies for your scary moment

they do some scary things Sometimes my friends ds does this....she just takes him outside and he's ok, doc said he should grow out of it