Thread: Lack of poo - when should I be concerned

Default Lack of poo - when should I be concerned

I'm concerned now but..

I started Lucas on solids a week ago. On Saturday I gave him rice cereal with banana for breakfast and haven't had a dirty nappy since. Since then I've given him pear & apple to try and get things movingbut nothing so far. When should I start worrying?

Even when exclusively breastfeeding he was going at least once a day, so nothing for 2 days concerns me. I'm not overly keen to smell a solids nappy but I want a happy healthy boy.

Bfed bubs can go up to 10 days without a poo with no problem, (and mine often have!). But I would think they would go more often with solids in the mix. Banana can cause constipation, so I wouldn't give anymore of that for a while. Potato also. But I wouldn't worry yet, just cut out the problem foods, and make sure he drinks plenty. I wouldn't give much in the way of solids, in the first couple of weeks a teaspoon a day is usually enough. Also warm water can help as warmth relaxes the bowels. People will tell you brown sugar in hot water works, scientifically there is no reason why brown sugar would work, so it's probably the heat that has really helped. Give it a couple of days.

I agree with Melanie - my b/f bub only goes every 5-6 days and that's normal. But banana is defnintely constipating so I'd ditch that and go with pears at first.
    As someone who had a really constipated formula fed baby with my first bub I can tell you that if he's constipated you WILL know about it. They are not happy little campers and there will be much whining and writhing and grunting. Two days is nothing, and if he's happy and not bothered I'm sure he's fine and poopey will probably make an appearance in the next day or so if that's his normal "habit"

Malakili, just as an aside, it is a good idea to introduce foods one at a time and stay with it for 3 or 4 days before introducing the next, to be sure there is no allergic reaction. HTH.

Flea, LOL, I notice we both have a 2yo and a 5month old!

Thanks ladies - I just got my big prize . No banana again for some time.

ETA: I phoned DH and told him and just got the following e-mail:
    I have told everyone about Lucas's accomplishment this morning. There was much applause amongst the troops!
    Last edited by Snowy Love; March 13th, 2007 at 09:45 AM.

NewmumLou Guest

A little brown sugar in water always got Joshua bowels moving!