Thread: Lactose intolerance after gastro?

Default Lactose intolerance after gastro?

Lucie has been unwell with gastro since Monday night. It was mostly diarrohea after a nights vomiting. We went through stopping formula for 24 hours on 2 occasions and then restarting at half strength and increasing. The second time it appeared to work, with no diarrohea (but she wouldn't take solids and still very fussy on bottle) for 48 hours and then it hit again. Now we are back to half strength but she keeps sucking then stopping and groaning in pain and it's like her tummy is cramping up. Could it now be a lactose intolerance (I have heard it can happen after gastro)? And should I try a lactose free formula for a while? Has anyone else had this? I am going out of my mind! I just want my girl to be better again. She is so tiny anyway and she can't afford to keep losing all this weight!

Alex never had lactose inrolerance until after the first time he had gastro.
    I would take Lucie to the docotrs to get her checked out they should get a poo sample from Lucie to just check it's still not gastro.
    Also check that she has no while marks in her mouth because after the last lot of gastro Alex caught oral thrush and it's was just the same as him having gastro but this time he was throwing up with it. That came on afterr about 3 days of gastro stopping as his immune system was low.

I hope you can find out what is wrong with Lucie soon.

Thanks heaps for the reply Michelle. How are you going matey?

I tried the lactose free formula yesterday but she screamed blue murder (even more than usual!) at every feed. Back to normal stuff this am but at 75% strength. I sooooo hope she isn't lactose intolerant now. I hate gastro!

Ihope Lucie gets better soon and she does have lactose intolerant or gastro.

Nothing worse than them having horrible dirty nappies all the time.
    If she is still like it in a few days take her to the dr's and get him to test a poo sample he should do one for you and he will have to send it off but you should know within a few days if it is gastro or lactose.

Good luck.

We are all doing fine I've just had to put Alex back on to formula as he has stopped sleeping at night since i took him off it.

Kirsty77 Guest

Hey Soph

Gemma had gastro not to long ago to and she had it for a good solid week!The diahorrea left her with nasty nappy rash and thrush to. She also still had the gastro pains in her belly for a week after to especially when she had to poo.It makes your tummy go into spasms which is why she could be reluctant to eat. Gemma did come good after me practically living at the doctors with her!She was sompletely off her solids as well and only taken minimal milk at the most!I think I nearly lost all my hair from pulling it out!

Kirsty - Thanks for the info! Sorry that all you guys had it too though. I'm still making Lucie's formula up at 75% for today - she did well yesterday. Still not really giving her solids either. It really mucks them around doesn't it?

My 2 month old daughter has lactose intolerance, she is fully b/f

She had all the same symptoms as your little one...runny/foamy poo's & LOTS of them, horrible wind pains that would make me cry too & projectile reflux, plus her bum was constantly red & raw from all those poo's.

My paediatrician told me to put her on these drops called "Lacteeze" which you can get in some chemists or online for about $30-35/15.5ml bottle. I just give Kathleen 2 drops before each feed by mouth & have been doing so for the past 2 weeks & her symptoms have all but cleared up.

It might be worth trying..they have smaller bottles: 7ml/$18.95 (lasts about 1.5 weeks)

Hope this helps

I think the lactose intolerance caused by gastro is temporary. When the gut heals they're able to digest lactose again. I quoted an article in another thread that might interest you here

Thanks for all the info guys. She's back on normal formula and poohs are nice and solid now so yeap it was temporary thank goodness. Yucko for gastro! And now we are dealing with thrush - it never ends!

Soph,

Which kind of thrush does Lucie have ?

After Alex had gastro he got oral thrush which was so bad he didn't stop being sick until the Dr gave us something for it.

Michelle - i think it's just on her girly bits but am going to get some oral thrush stuff tomorrow anyway just in case i think.