Thread: Lactose Intolerant Bubba

Unhappy Lactose Intolerant Bubba

Looks like I am going to have to give up dairy while I breast feed. sari has all three main indications that she is lactose intolerant (runny poos, lots of congestion and skin irritaion). Does anyone have any info on alternatives. I am so going to miss cheese!!!

Cheers
    Nets x

My Paed told me my DS was a bit lactose intolerant and to go off dairy but my GP later told me this was pointless as your breastmilk has lactose in it and eating more lactose rich foods will not increase this.

Do you have a good supply? I think if you express the first 15-20ml this is supposed to help a bit, since the foremilk is a lot higher in sugar than the more fatty milk.

You can try drinking other sorts of milk if you want to go off dairy. Soy would be the most common, but a lot of babies with dairy sensitivities have them to soy too - if its just the lactose though, then it may be fine.

you can also buy rice or almond milk at wollies/safeway and coles - not sure about smaller stores, although a well stocked health food may have something.

Cheese wise - speaking as an ex-vegan, I found no nice nondairy cheese (at least for eating on its own) at all while I was off dairy

Thats interesting to know 1time mum!

Rach my supply is good yes.. I dont mind rice milk so thats no problem but I love cheese, if I had to say I had one craving during pg, it was cheese.

I am actually asthmatic and my Dh is allergic to seafood so it does mean she is more likely to have intolerances as well (while her tummy is still imature anyway). It is also likely that I am mildly lactose intolerant as well, as an asthmatic I should really avoid too much dairy anyway but I love it! I think I might just swap the milk to rice milk and cut down on cheese but not cut it out completely. I heard that the alternative cheeses are'nt the nicest

I had Angus tested last week at an allergy clinic and he tested positive to all cow's milk products except A2 milk. It's made from Jersey cow milk and has a different structure. Google A2milk. He is fine with goat and sheep products, so I'll be splurging on yummy goat's cheese and nice feta. This clinic treats the allergies from 6 months with something akin to accupressure. Angus' cousins have had amazing results and they had many more things they were orgianlly allergic/intolerant to. Google allergy elimination clinic. They might be able to put you on to someone in Perth if you're into that sort of thing. Good luck.

Blackbird - is the testing painful? I wanted to get milo allergy tested but my MCHN said they won't usually do kids under 2 cos its really painful??

Not at all! It uses muscle testing the same way kinesiology does. It's not the traditional western medicine scratch test approach. I lay down on the bed and sat Angus up on my chest. The practitioner then gave me different food or vials of stuff to hold against Angus while he then pulled on my other arm while I had to resist. When you hit something that bubs is reactive to, you just cannot hold your arm up. Might sound a bit airy-fairy or freaky to some but I've had this sort of testing done before for different things and I know it works.

Jovie is intolerant to cows milk and soy & now goats milk as well. I have been off all dairy, and soy products since January. Its made a huge difference to her, and if I accidentally eat something with cows milk the skin irritation gets up within an hour. Worse with soy than milk. She also has bad reflux with dairy products. If you google milk sucks you will find heaps of information about milk intolerance as well. In December I went off all milk other than A2 but unfortunately it made no difference to Jovie so we cut out all dairy.

My lactation consultant said its different to lactose intolerance, but more an intolerance to the proteins which is why A2 works for so many children who are intolerant to other milks, the proteins are different.

Blackbird, I've been to see an acupuncturist who has done chinese medicine and she found out by a similar approach, she puts a gold rod on a point on Jovie and if she touches milk and that point Jovie gets irritated but if she touches a banana Jovie is okay. Its so interesting.

My paed said Stewart was slightly lactose intolerant but that my intake wouldnt affect it as breastmilk naturally produces lactose. We put him on S26 LF for his top up feeds to reduce the lactose intake and that seems to be working.

Oh Christy what a bugger. It's worth it when you can see what a difference it makes to their little tummies/skin. I hadn't heard about the gold rod before...interesting indeed.