Thread: Lana isn't gaining wiehgt

getinmybelly!! Guest

Default Lana isn't gaining weight

Well she is just not very quickly. She is gaining 250gms a month. The thing is she is ahead in her milsetones, she is wetting her nappy, and sleeping well and is a very happy baby.

She is now 6.1kg (birthweight 3.9kg). I tried feeding her 2 hourly, but she wasn't happy with me constantly waking her so I gave it up. I am still breastfeeding. Should I be worried? I try not to as she seems fine but its still in the back of my mind.

Last edited by getinmybelly!!; September 17th, 2006 at 11:34 PM. Reason: spelling

I'm certainly no expert but I think as long as she is gaining, happy and have wet nappies, sounds like she is doing really well. Some are just slower than others I guess. Have you seen a MCHN/paed? Are they worried at all? Try not to stress too much, if bubbas all gained weight at exactly the same rate they would all be the same and it wouldn't be too interesting! My DD hasn't exactly been fast with weight gain either (she's nearly 13 months), but ahead in all her milestones - crawling at 5.5 months, walking before 10 etc. They just do things in their own time!

Chloe,
    Sounds fine to me, as long as she is gaining some weight & is having wet & dirty nappies & is contented then she sounds fine!

I also am not an expert, but then tend to have growth spurts where they dain a heap of weight (for them) & then a bit of a stage where it sort of evens out again...

With my oldest she is almost 8 yrs & just 20/21kgs & is tiny.. I can tell she grows coz she goes thru a shorter chubbier in the face looking stage & then all of a sudden her pants look short! This only happens every 7-8mths!!! hee hee she is in size 4 clothes!!!

Sounds like she is just gonna be petite!

Have you had a look at the WHO charts for breastfed babies? I think we may have some on BB somewhere... They are different than the older ones that have been available for years because they actually are a more realistic example for babies who are breastfed. Matilda was only around 7.5-8kg at 12 months so sounds like Lana is doing fine!

I agree with the rest of the girls. Babies all gain at different rates, some fast and some slow. My boys were fast gainers and Tehya a slow one. She has never had really huge growth spurts, but that is just her. My MCHN isn't at all worried about this and neither am I. Tehya is only now just 10 kgs at 18 month and still under the 50th centile although finally getting closer. She is still bf too.

I think as long as Lana is happy and contend, sleeping great and having wet nappies all is well. Afterall, doesn't it make sense that if she were hungry she's be more unsettled??

I agree with the other girls ...as long as she is happy with wet nappies I would not worry to much. I got quite caught up in the "weight gain" and "what the bubba should weight" game according to the books and nurses ...but really I think it is just a guide to some degree and every little person is so different. She will probably shock you one month and gain a kilo ! hehe

Cass

Olivia never gained much ever....some times I was overjoyed at a 100g gain in a month.........she is now a tiny but perfectly proprtioned 2.5 year old......still doesn't weigh much.....but v.healthy.......

I haven't seen Lana past the picture in your ticker, but if she's feeding regularly, wetting her nappies and seems happy; I'd say you have nothing to worry about!

At that age Maddy was 6.060kg so for a little girl, I'd say that's a very standard weight at 4 months old! I'm fairly sure that she's around the 50th percentile on the WHO charts.