Thread: Large Head...

Question Large Head...

We've been told that our little man has a big head and he has to go in for measurements once a month to keep an eye on it. He's just over 7 months old and his head is 47.5cm so he's close to the top of the grey section in the growth charts...however, he is also over 9.6 kgs and 72cm tall so he's high on all the growth charts.

Has anyone else got a similar 'problem' and if so, what have you been advised to do? Does anyone know what the problems are with a big head? (I've been told it's something to do with fluids but I don't understand what!?!?)

His head doesn't look overly big compared to the rest of him but is big to other bubs we know (but they are all quite small in overall size compared to Riley anyway... I'm just curious to know if anyone else has gone through this too???

OK.. we've just been through all of this, so know what your going through as our DS has a head circ of 47cm which is on the 97th percentile (but his body/length is only on the 50th). What the doctors are looking for is Hydrocephalus (or fluid on the brain) which typically causes larger than normal head growth in babies.

It is a serious condition, but pretty rare and highly unlikely that your bub would have it and it generally causes other signs and quite serious delay in development. Many babies with this condition are 'off the charts' with head size. Still, the doctors like to cover their bums and check things out.

In all honesty, it has caused us a lot of stress and panic that we really didn't need - our DS was sent for ultrasounds to have a look inside his head. Turns out he just has lots of brains in there - hence the big noggin.

The most common cause for a big head is genetics - ie it is normal for your family! It really sounds as if your bub's head is in proportion to his body so like the PP, I'd say he is just a big baby.

Any Q's feel free to ask. We went through a really rough time with this as we had an idiot doctor that seemed to prefer to make us panic instead of letting us know how unlikely the condition is.

My nephew, who is nearly 6 mths has a head that is off the charts and he is at the top for weight and length. Heads are all big in that side of the family and no one has said anything about it being a concern - he's just a big boy all over.

Unrelated note - I was a Wagga girl growing up and moved to Melbourne for uni. Angus had his first plane trip a month ago to Wagga to visit his grandparents.

Hi girls! Thanks heaps, especially Anna! That sucks that they made you so worried!!! Our nurse & doctor have told us not to worry but just that we should keep an eye on it and keep getting him measured each month. It's good to know that it's not very likely to be a problem and that it is more common than I first thought for a bub to have a 'big head'...

PS blackbird - hope you enjoyed your trip back to Wagga...I'm sure Angus was spoilt rotten by the grandparents...haha!

We have just been referred to the paediatrician (sp??) now because Riley's head has become 'too big'...it's off the scales now at 49 cms (right on 8 months old)... He doesn't show the other signs of hydrocephalus but they want to check him out just in case... Hopefully it's all okay. He has an appointment for next Thursday. I really hope that he's okay, it sounds like a horrible thing...

Still, he's 10 kgs now and about 73 cms 'tall' so again, he's big over all (and not to mention his daddy has a big head...hehe).

Good luck Sherie. I'm about to go to my SiL's and will check on my nephew's current head size and if anything's been said to her. Try not to worry too much...hard I know but better to get it checked and rule anything out.

Good luck Sherie, I totally understand the stress you are going through right now. Hang in there.

If he is anything like my DS, his head is just having a growth spurt and his body will catch up a bit soon. In the last month, Xander's head hasn't grown but his body has. Still has a big noggin tho!

Like the PP said, it is worth getting checked out, if nothing else but to put your mind at ease.

Thanks girls! I'll let you know how the results go next week...

PS Blackbird - it would be interesting to know the size of your nephews head etc...thanks!
    Anna - How big is Xander's head now?

Xander's head is just a bit over 47cm, but he is less than 9kgs and about 71cm long.

My nephew's head is 47cm and he's 9kg and 72 cm at 6.5 mths.

Yipee!!! Riley does have a big head but it's because his daddy has a HUGE head and it is nothing to worry about. We still have to monitor him but otherwise it's all okay! Thanks for your help/support girls!

Great news!!! So happy to hear it.

Yay!! Lots of brains in there...

That's great news Sherie! I had been away in Darwin and saw your message, so I have been thinking about you all week.
    So, it's all Cam's fault then?!!