Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Learn from my mistake!!!

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Tomorrow is the day!!! ARGH!!!! I am soooo nervous and I know she will be fine but I am going to lose it as soon as it's time for her to go in, I just know it!!! We have to leave really early so I think she'll be the first cab off the rank which might be better but still... I don't have any idea of how they put toddlers to sleep and I am just freaking thinking about it!!!!

*calm blue oceans, calm blue oceans*
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Aww big hugs Kelly :hugs: Will be thinking of both of you tomorrow

Love :hbeat:

:hugs: Kelly, That must be so scary for you... but I'm sure Marisa and you will do just fine... Goodluck, I will be thinking of you.

And speaking of teeth... as Aidyn's first one came through last week I had better get a baby toothbrush for him tomorrow! I had never considered that you would need to bursh it this young... but it does make perfect sense! I have read somehwere that you shouldn't use toothpaste for a baby so young (5 months), but I will check out that baby toothpaste anyway and see what it says. Especially as Brisbane doesn't have flouridated water (grrrrrr!)

Poor Ris!

Poor Kelly!

I'm sure it will all be fine. DPs teeth are shocking (cigarettes) but the only fillings I had to have were because my molars have very deep indentations in them, and food was getting caught. Haven't been to a dentist in years though oops!

Thanks guys I am trying!!!

Ambah - as long as you can make brushing fun it makes a huge difference! Marisa was very stubborn with not wanting to brush or letting us do it. We didn't want to force it down her and then she resent brushing altogether but it made it tricky as obviously they need to brush!

Colgate's My First Toothpaste is for 1-6 year olds, so I would say any younger and you are right - you can't use much, but water should be fine as long as he gets the idea of brushing. Marisa loves it now that she has a Dory toothbrush, Nemo toothbrush and a Bugs Bunny toothbrush. When we do it together she is better at brushing, will imitate and brush longer.

Good luck!! And as her dentist said - if I was a toddler I wouldn't like anyone shoving a toothbrush down my throat either!!!
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Oh Good luck tomorrow Kelly!!!

This is the first time I've read this post, but I'm glad I have. The hospital I went too actually asked me to take part in an educational/research thing about tooth decay, so when I was PG I had to watch a video basically saying exactly what you have, not to feed to sleep at night with anything other than water, to brush teeth from the time one erupts & try to brush at least twice a day.... so wow I was scared from that!! They also suggested going to the dentist from 1year, just getting baby used to going etc....

Good luck Kelly & Marisa :luck:

I'm sure you'll both be fine

For those that are interested just thought I would give a quick wrap up on what happened! It's really long and probably really boring but I just have to get it out so I can feel better!!! It was pretty bloody awful though, I am sooooooo going to make sure I am very vigilant for now on!

We arrived early as she had to be in for 7am admission, Marisa was very quiet from being woken up early but she's always been funny with strangers. I knew it wasn't going to be fun due to her shyness - when we were called to do her obs, she wouldn't stand on the scales and we ended up having to get my sister to hold her and then subtract her own weight. Had a bit better luck doing her temperature, heartbeat and name bands (around her wrists) but it took some coaxing. They didn't put the emla cream on her hands like all the other kids, which I was very upset about, it's the cream that they use to numb your hands for injections/drips. They didn't want to upset her anymore, but didn't even try it...

We waited ages and when it was ready, they decided to give her a sedative first, so it would be easier to give her gas. They warned me it would make her drowsy and 'drunk', to my surprise she took the medicine okay but it was when she had it, it really set me off. She was very floppy and totally drunk! She kept giggling to herself and her speech got worse and worse - slow and slurred. She was given this stuffed teddy by one of the nurses earlier, and she started zooming it from an arms length away and then made it touch her nose, giggling like mad when it did touch her nose! She had lost the plot! She grew more sleepy and weak and just let herself relax in my arms. It made me so upset, she was so helpless and floppy lying there and could hardly move.

As I mentioned, my sister Lauren is a Dental Nurse and she asked the operating surgeon (the paed dentist) if she could observe, so this was okayed and she went to scrub up... as she went off, Marisa squeaked out this tiny little weak, high pitched ... "Lauren?" and I was bawling... I told her that she'd come back soon and the part I had been dreading - they came to get her.

I couldn't stop bawling, I held her and brought her things with my spare hand into the anaesthetic room, she never moved a muscle, she was looking straight ahead the whole time, so numb... I had to prop her on the bed so they could give her gas to go to sleep and she reached for my hand so slowly, I grabbed it, gave her a kiss on the cheek and she was asleep so fast... I then had to go and couldn't go back to the waiting room. All the other parents in there bar one was crying like myself (who was also on her own, I think everyone else there had their husband with them) and they were all fine about the whole operation thing for their children. I was the only one pregnant though!!!

I stood in the hallway and everytime I stopped myself crying and composed myself, someone would come check on me and ask those words, 'Are you okay...?' and set me off again!!! They were all very nice and supportive but I was just very upset and there was no consoling me!!!

The surgery took about 45 minutes and the surgeon came out to see me. He said that it all went well and was all fixed up, much of the problem was to do with the structure of the teeth (everyone has differently designed grooves etc), so the way he fixed it up was to make the fillings (forget all the terms he used!) level out these grooves. He also fissure sealed the back ones in future and when he sees her again, wants to test the ph level of her saliva, as some people have varying levels of ph and this can be a problem with teeth. The reason he suspects it might be a problem was due to the way the teeth were copping the damage.

I was called into recovery soon after as Marisa was very upset. This is the reason why I was angry about the emla cream - they had put a drip in her hand in case something happened and she was majorly cracking it. It was hurting her and she wanted the bandage off. Of course she was really weak at the same time, making all these funny noises but I was just so happy to see her... after her bawling and being very unhappy for about 15-20 minutes, they agreed to take it off, I agreed that if they took it out and she needed meds, she would take oral medicine. I knew it would make her happier to get the darn thing off.

They took the drip out, and I think the nurse was starting to get ****ty as she was rough and Marisa squirmed something fierce, but once it was out, I started singing to her and she was out like a light for 2-3 hours. We went home after the first hour and had a quiet day.

It all sounds silly to think a simple procedure would set someone off so much, but it was sooooo upsetting to see her like that and to have someone else control the well being of your own child. I am so glad it's over, and hope that I never, ever, have to go through that again.
    Kelly xx

Oh Kelly I would have been bawling if I was in your shoes as well :hugs: I get teary when my kids are sick in just a normal scenario cause I can't make them instantly better

Hope she is feeling a bit better today

Love :hbeat:

Awww Kelly :hugs:

I'm so glad that ou both came through everything ok, well in the end at least

I hope Marisa is feeling better today & you're alot less stressed.

:hugs: Kelly...
    Thats sounds like it was pretty traumatic... it must have been so hard to deal with!
    But at least now it is all over & done with and you can breathe a sigh of relief.
    I hope Marisa is feeling better too.

Just bumping this up, I was only wondering this the other day when to start taking Matthew to the dentist - very soon!

Thanks for bumping it Nell.

I'm so sorry it was such a traumatic experience, Kelly. Even if it was so long ago.

I took Vivienne, and take Blake now, into the room with me every time I have a check up. Blake, as did Viv - actually she still does - watches me while I'm having my check up.

Because Viv was in with me since she was a baby in the pram, she had no problem with the transition to the chair herself.

She in fact has had two major procedures - including kiddy root canal - on one tooth which is particularly weak, and she was so brave and just took it all in her stride.

I recommend you take your little ones in with you right from day dot so they can understand it's normal and there's nothing to be scared of.

Wow, I love these blast from the past posts!!! I am happy to say Marisa now loves the dentist, she's had her teeth checked several times, opens her mouth for women as well as men now and loves a ride in the chair. I guess the gentle approach worked well, not pushing it if she didn't like it, just trying again another time and lots of fun She loves her electric toothbrush and has some toothpaste she loves too, so it doesn't last forever Elijah on the other hand is completely opposite and has loved brushing his teeth for some time and is happy for me to do it. Gees, Ris is such a stubborn thing!!!
    Kelly xx

Awww poor Brielle! Can you maybe take a personal CD player & headphones so that she can listen to some music or something rather than having to hear all the equipment going all the time? Hope the appt goes well, Shannon.

Hmmm, It wouldnt be so bad, if it wasnt ME whom is totally petrified of the dentist!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12