Thread: Learning to talk...

MUMMY4LIFE is offline .: ~ Don't regret anything that ever made you smile ~ :.

Default Learning to talk...

My son is 19 months old and isn't really big on talking. After he turned one I was constantly asked if he was walking yet???, and now that he has been for some time, now the question everyone is asking me when I tell them his age, what does he say, can he talk??? (These questions are an absolute pain in the butt, as some of you probably know). He says all the usual stuff, mum, dad, nan, what's that, who's that, cat and a few other things, but to me he is progressing quite slowly, maybe it is just me and I am expecting a little too much (or I just don't really know what to expect at this age). My husband and I, constantly repeat words to get him to copy, but he would just prefer at this stage to talk his own baby gibberish....At this age what should a child's level of speech be??? Does ANYONE have any advice on helping children to learn to speak???

Thanks

Custardtart Guest

Hi Karen,
    My very best advice is this: let him learn at his own pace. Learning 'milestone' averages are just that - averages. Because your child does not match this profile does not mean that they are in any way disadvantaged, it just means that they approach things differently. It is very common for boys (particularly) to have delayed stages in learning, they make up for it later.
    If you are particularly worried then you might be able to get some testing done at the MCHC to pick up any learning disablities, but at this age I'd be inclined to just relax and let your child learn at the pace they are comfortable with.

A friend of mine has a two-year-old boy who, until last month, did not speak AT ALL, even to say "Mum" or "Dad". He is a bright little spark and his comprehension is certainly there, but he feels absolutely no need to form words and communicates through pointing and saying "Ah".

Possibly one of the best ways to get him interested in speech is to read to him - a short, interesting, colourful book a couple of times a day. Make a pattern of reading him two books a day, one that changes each day and one that is the same for a week. Kids learn through repetition and love the same stories over and over, so this way you get both familiarity with the words and a new range of words each day.

Most of all, no matter what you do, don't expect instant results. Kids will develop at their own rate no matter how good a parent you are!

With love and encouragement,

Kerrie

MUMMY4LIFE is offline .: ~ Don't regret anything that ever made you smile ~ :.

Thanks Kerrie (Custartart), you have said just what I needed to hear. A little encouragement and advice can go along way...

Thanks Again, Take Care

Karen,

I totally agree with everything Kerrie has suggested!

If it is any consolation, Olivia (15 months) is barely even weight-bearing, so I figure we'll be lucky if she is walking for another 6 months, and like you, I get sick of the "Is she walking yet?" type questions.......so in terms of understanding how you feel about developmental milestones, I know how you feel!!

My only other suggestion would be, with regard to the talking, for your own peace of mind, is triple check your sons hearing, just in case........it is probably 100% perfect, in which case you can relax, knowing he will start chatting in his own sweet time.....

Karen don't you feel like screaming when you get asked all those questions. Mine is "is she crawling yet?" AAggghhhh!!!! NO!

My girlfriends little girl is 20 months and she really only says mum and dad and a few other little words. To me it sounds like your son is doing exactly as he should. Another friends 21 month old says alot more, but they really go crazy on the teaching. Probably to much.

Our close friends all have babies older than us & often they remind us where they are when people ask around them... I often get asked what Matilda says, and I always have to say "She's not even one, give her time..." But both friends with girls close by have started really talking between 24-28 months.

Debbie Lee Guest

Karen - my neice is 17 months old now and she still doesn't really talk. She just grunts most of the time. I think it might be because her older sister does most of the talking. I don't really think it's much to worry about. They will talk when they want to. Until then, enjoy the peace! LOL

Karen, I wouldn't worry too much. Nicholas is 2 and he isn't saying a great deal of words atm. He has just started to say mummy properly (he used to call me far-far, weird I know)

Every child is different and they will speak, walk run, jump etc... when they are ready.

I agree with everyone else. What ever you do try not to compare. Paris talked early but walked late, and I stressed about that sooo much. I had people telling me she was never going to have good hand and eye co-ordination and everything. My saying is can you look at a room of adults and tell by looking at them what age, they walked, talked, sat blah blah blah ? I know I can't

*hugs*
    Cailin

Ali Guest

Hi Karen,

I was so relieved to read your post - my 16mo can't talk at all even to repeat words and I was starting to get concerned. My first daughter was an early speaker and although I know you should never compare it is really hard not to. I was sort of expecting my 2nd DD to talk at around the same time. All she seems to say is "da". I have read everyones responses and feel better about it, I am sure ours will talk when they are ready. I was thinking of going off to see the MCHN just in case there might be a hearing problem but I guess we just wait and see!

Custardtart Guest

Well said, Mum2boys.

Kerrie