Thread: Leaving baby awake in bed?

Default Leaving baby awake in bed?

DS woke from a sleep and seemed a bit tired. I tried to get him back to sleep but it didnt happen. However I left him on our bed wrapped up and he has been awake since I left him 20 minutes ago, but making no noise. He seems happy - when I peek in he is looking at his hands and gently kicking round.
    So, is it ok to let him do this? I sort of feel I should get him up and give him proper 'up' time, but then I think if he is happy having a quiet wake time, then perhaps thats what he needs.

I think it is great for them to have some happy quiet time after they wake. It means they feel safe and secure there. Definitely leave him to enjoy the quiet time.

If he's happy leave him!!! I always leave DS in the cot if he is awake and happy...then I have a bit of extra quiet time too, well as quiet as his 2yrs old sister lets me have....lol. I get him up when he starts to grizzle or cry.

Same thing is happening here...if she is happy I leave her. I think it is a great thing for babies to learn, to be happy by themselves for a small amount if time

Leave him be. I remember asking this question when DS was really young and our CHN told me 'he's watching the ducks, leave him in peace' hahaha! I think it's a good analogy and I think it's great that he's happy to lay quietly taking in his surroundings, like Krysalyss said, he obviously feels quite safe and secure to do so

Yep- definatley leave him if he's happy!! We co-sleep from whenever DS wakes at night (usually around 3-4am) till morning and so when he wakes up we lay there and play till i am ready to get up- we have done this forever- and now he has his cot- when i get up he goes in his cot to play while i go to the loo and have a cup of tea and five minutes to myself before we start the day!! Somedays when i go to get him, he isnt ready to get out yet!! lol He wants even more play time!!
    Like the other ladies have said- its great for them to leanr to be happy and content by themselves!!

My only thought would be to make sure he isnt able to roll off the bed- i wouldnt leave DS on the bed these days coz he is faaaarrrr to mobile!!(reason we moved his morning playtime to the cot!!) But as long as your DS isnt rolling away, its fine to leave him

Thank you everyone. After a little bit longer he cried out to let us know he was ready to do something else. He loves to be cuddled - all the time , so it was a welcome break. I will look out for the oportunity again to leave him having time to himself.

Yeah thats great Salsa!

My little girl is starting to do that too, when I walk past her thinking she is asleep and find her eyes wide open I think..WOW COOL, she can keep herself settled!! AWESOME