Thread: less feeds each day

maggie Guest

Default less feeds each day

Hi

Up til now i was feeding like evey day every 1.5hrs or so, during the day, my breasts were just on demand, if bubs cried he got a feed. the last 2days though , he doesnt seem to want as many feeds, and is easier to put down.. he is still doing more the 6 wet nappies a day 7 the required poo amnts.

Last week he has put on 260Grams. is it normal for breast feed babies to start not wanting as many feeds in a day. in a 24hr period i am still most likely doing bout 8feeds, but each one can only take 15mins or so... does this sound ok???

8 feeds sounds normal in a 24 hour period. As for lenghth of time I'm not totally sure. My bubs was feeding about 20 mins but she didn't put on as much weight as the MCHN would have liked so she has told me to try and get her to take at least another 5 mins on other side.
    But every baby is different and yours may not need as much time as he may be more effective at draining out the milk. If he is putting on weight and having wet nappied I wouldn't be too concerned. If it does worry you maybe call your MCHN and ask her opinion. Does your baby seem full after a feed or is he wanting more 30 mins or so after you have finished?

That is exactly the way it should be. DD went from feeding every two hours to feeding every three and now every four. She also went from needing 20-30 minutes on each side to just 10 on each. She is also demand fed and healthily plump and long.

maggie Guest

Thx guys

Bubs is only 4weeks old, so these feeds still sound ok?

Maggie,

My bubs is also 4 weeks old. My lactation consultant says 6-8 feeds a day is normal. However 8 feeds is better for a growing bub at this stage. So I feed every 3 hours and maybe 2 times a day inbetween usually in the afternoon when shes unsettled.

Bel
    xxx

dont forget babies will go through growth spirts very early where it may seem they feed constantly for a few days and then there will be a couple of days where they seem to be asleep all of the time i think T had his first big one at 4 weeks and 2-3 weekly after that which was more often then were were told it would happen