Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Long haired mums with bubs!

Default Long haired mums with bubs!

Just a quick post to warn you to check bubs fingers and toes regularly! Lucie just spent 2 hours in emergency because she had got a piece of my hair wrapped really tightly around 2 of her toes - they were red and swollen and the hair was soooo tight it had cut through. Fortunately all is ok now, but apparently it is quite common. No wonder she was grumpy! Ok now off to vacuum everywhere in sight................

How scary for you! I am worried about my princess eating mine, I dont want her to get a big fur ball in her belly! I would never have thought about it wrapping around fingers and toes like that! Thanks for the heads up!

You're exactly right, I have seen this happen a number of times on my ward, and sometimes the hair gets so tight they have to give the child a general anaesthetic to remove it all.

Just make sure you check toes and fingers at every bath!

I'm not ready to cut it all off!!!

But thanks Soph, I usually check her toes & fingers coz she started pulling my hair & rubbing it whilst feeding!!!

Will be certain to check it all the time now!

Fee Guest

How scary! I have very very long hair... Will keep this all in mind.

Yep we check at every bath because Matilda loves to find hair and play with it. I have had to help amputate toes on birds & kittesn for the same reason, so I guess I'm always checking...

Tigergirl1980 Guest

OMG the poor little mite, thanks for telling us, I will definitely make sure I check too. And everywhere (thanks Shannon for freaking me out).

Tigergirl1980 Guest

LOL, that's ok, here's hoping you've got a willy to check sometime soon huh?

:shock: CRIKEY's!!!!

Um they removed the hair...? Or the willy???

OUCH....

Wow!

Thats terrible! I'm always checking Louis as so much of my hair is falling out!!!

I have seen it on his hands and toes before but not tight luckily!

Debbie Lee Guest

Wow, Soph! Thanks for the warning. I'll keep a close eye out from now on. Glad that Lucie is ok!

I have also heard a similar warning about socks. Sometimes they can have long bits of cotton loose on the inside at the toe area. Babies can also get those bits of cotton wrapped around their toes and cut off the circulation.

More than once I pulled out one of my long hairs from Angus' bum :shock: Later I got all my hair cut off short.
    I'm glad her toeys are ok!
    Thanks for letting us know, now it's one more thing to fret over!

Thanks Sammi! I just spat hot tea all over the monitor when I read that :smt043 From his bum????

That happened to my son's toe!! We got it off ourselves, but the mark stayed there for over a week. It was horrible.

in the valley of cuddles with mountains of smiles

thanks for this advice I might need to get my long hair cut off
    with two bubbas (& willies) to watch - 40 fingers and toes, two bums - seriously now I have been :-k considering it

I don't want it accidently pulled and I yank it myself.

Debbie Lee Guest

Fletch - I used to malt too!! It seemed to stop when I finished BFing... thank goodness because I don't have much hair left!! LOL

Oh me too, luckily I have a heap of hair, it's really fine though which is apparently heaps harder to see when it gets caught around bubs!

layla Guest

OMG how scary!
    Shannon, I laughed when I read your post, I thought you were pulling our legs saying they cut the willy off !!!!!
    I have long hair too and I had never realised that it could be so dangerous in that way. I'll be checking Sarah's fingers and toes a hundred times a day now, she loves playing with my hair.
    I usually tie it back but it falls out at an alarming rate.
    On the other note, I have found hair in her poo before! :shock:
    I am always conscious of my hair going near her mouth while she is feeding after that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast