Thread: Longbaby is loooong - what to wear?

Default Longbaby is loooong - what to wear?

My little bundle of wriggles is 50th percentile weight and 75th percentile length and he is noticably long. I'm hoping he doesn't grow out of the baby capsule before we can afford to get a car seat.

But the big problem is he's about to grow out of 000 onesies just when I swear he grew out of 0000 onesies last week. He's currently wearing a singlet, a terry onesie, a polar fleece onesie over that, plus sometimes a sleep suit and hat over that (it gets very cold here). But obviously that's not going to work as he has loooooong legs. He's my first winter baby, and also my first that has inconveniently decided not to be the same proportions in all directions. My last two fitted commercial full-leg onesies just fine, and in fact the toddler is still wearing a polar fleece full onesie as pajamas.

So - suggestions on how to dress him so he's still warm and actually FITS in clothes? I'm thinking pants of some description ... I have lots of arms-but-no-legs 000 onesies in neutral colours leftover from DD#2 so I'm thinking those make a good base, but I don't have anything else. It was all virulent hot pink so I got rid of it.

What about the Bonds growsuits that have no feet? The stripy ones, not wondersuits? My DS is long too and I find that the Bonds suits (or other brand) with no feet are ok - I can put socks on and pull them up. Because they don't have feet it doesn't seem to matter if they are a bit short in the legs, just get longer socks.

DS was born 8th July and I have just migrated him up into 00... tonight he's actually in a Bonds wondersuit that's a size zero... I feel your pain!

Do you have any tights? i am loving tights to keep my little one warm.- and you can have a footless 000 onsie over the top. My light one is long and skinny too, and has outgrown outfits lengthwise but the next size up is baggy on her.

Today, my little one had nappy, tights, singlet, onesie with arms but no legs, pants, long sleeve top. if we were going out she would have jumper over the top and hat.

Over night: nappy, singlet, terry onesie with feet, polar fleece onsie. She is in a hammock with flannel sheets and a blanket over the top.

I have a feeling tights only come in shades of pink and I've got a boy, not that it matters but DD#1 would have a fit and tell the entire universe her brother wears pink tights. But I have lots of socks I hear socks don't stay on though ...

I'm going to have to investigate footless onesies. I never used them with the other two kids. Went straight from full onesies to overalls with shoes and socks once they started crawling and took the toes out of the onesies.

nope they come in boys - as someone who had a 10th percentile weight and 90th percentile child (x2) can attest.
    I loved baby legs, bonds tights that looked like jeans, bonds pants one size too big for length (but we use cloth so that fills out the bum). When all else fails and you are desperate, cut the feet off the onsies and sew on socks (cos they're stretchier than the feet and can be made longer). I made pants for my little guy as well.
    Best and less make clothes that are huge and while I often had to either pin or adjust the waist at least the length was good. oh and they make polar fleece sleep suits that are loooong!

i have navy tights and light blue and white. all could definitely go on a boy. also the tights hold socks on better, so if you already have pink, you could just put socks and pants on over the top.

Have you tried onesies extenders on the legless suits? I have a short baby so never needed these but I have friends who swear by them.

DS1 was 75th percentile height 50th weight, DS2 is off the chart height, 50th percentile weight.
    Both fitted bonds wondersuits with feet, just a larger size than the rest of their clothes.

Our issue with onsies is more their feet being on the longish side also, but I dont have too many issues with socks staying on so footless onsies also were OK

DS has long legs and ginormous feet (yet is only 10th percentile for height...anomaly he is!) so we always had issues with him not fitting into onesies with feet properley. Bonds make leggings for boys (stretchies i think they're called) you can get knitted type ones or just the regular cotton, I've seen them at the supermarket. Then you can put thick socks on his feet and tuck the bottom of the leggings into them. When he was a little less delicate those blasted 'easy suits' were pretty good too, they have no feet or just some little trackies with the longsleeved legless onesies and a woolly jumper.

Gigi is offline BellyBelly Life Member - Love all your MCN friends
    Add Gigi on Facebook

is he long allover, or mainly long legs?

if he is short torso, but long legs, i am guessing separates might fit better (different sizes)

heaps of boy coloured leggings around. Plus there are heaps of boyish Huggaluggs and babylegs to pick from (legwarmers).

To get bottoms long enough for extra long legs, i would try buying bottoms (e.g jeans) that are a size too big, but have an adjustable waist (which you might have to put on the smallest setting). big w has quite a few like this.

and for summer, buy the "long short" instead of short shorts. again in one size too big, but with adjustable waist.

If the whole onesie thing is too complicated, in the very early days, an alternative might be to swaddle instead.

the benefit of swaddling too, nothing to be "untucked"

in general, i would upsize EVERYTHING. So tops hang longer, bottoms end longer.

but i am saying this, without really understanding if your bub is LONG TORSO and LONG LEGS, or just LONG LEGS.

Wow, all these baby products I didn't know existed! Winter boys are so much more complicated than summer girls. We have one bonds easysuit, the things are horrible so I don't know why I didn't throw it out. Its currently being worn by a stuffed cat as 'jamas, the stupid opening at the back is perfect for its tail to stick through.

I don't know which bit of him exactly is long, to me he looks in proportion but the midwives and clothes disagree so I think its torso *and* legs. He's very cute, of course

Going to get interesting as he gets older I imagine. The two girls are both tall and thin (especially the older one) and its easy to get long tops for girls, you just get those smock/tunic style ones that are almost a dress - and of course dresses. I get the older one 2 sizes bigger in the top than the bottom for length and put her in boots so you can't tell her jeans are too short. Boys stuff is really baggy to start with, he's going to look like he's wearing a tent!

He's going to be a very dainty boy. I'm normally 5'6" and about 53kg, other half is 5'9" and about 67kg. That combination does not a beefcake make. We're in the country so we don't have to go far to find perfectly proportioned strapping young WOMEN who are bigger than both of us.

I went through all the stuff in the cupboard .. all the 000 sleeveless onesies are too short in the body but the 00 ones all look fine. So, I have this collection of spring/summer 000 stuff (and some 0000 I missed) in neutrals if anyone wants it. Entirely onesies though, everything else was girly stuff and I already got rid of that.

I bought some overalls off Oztion and have a bid on a bunch of pants on Ebay that is ending veeery soon so now we're down to needing jackets and those 'stretchies' thingies

Kinda sucks not being near any baby stores, I have to send the other half out to buy things and he doesn't like to make decisions on this kind of stuff without me, and eBay doesn't work out good value for single items so I have to research before I send the lad out shopping ...

Lumpfeatures has helpfully put on a few kilos around the middle (he looks like a little Buddah if you sit him up) to even things out, and is now 75th percentile in weight AND length. He was born right on the 50th for weight and 75th for length.

Anyone who says breastfed babies are small can take my baby and shove it :P

Kmart brand terry onesies are bigger than the other brands
    non terry onsies are bigger than terry ones.
    Bonds make great leggings for boys or girls, but there are other brands out there in unisex colours too now.
    some people cut the toes out of their terry suits too to stretch their life, i've never done it though 'cause i've always planed to keep them for next bub.

I have red tights for my dd, and I think red is pretty unisex. but you should be able to get navy tights or white tights.
    Bonds do a knee high sock now but I think they are girly colours only.

leg warmers would be good too, lots of different brands out there