Thread: low grade temps - how long?

Default low grade temps - how long?

Milo has had a cold for about a month now. each time it changes or get worse, I take him back to the doctor, and am tols that he still has a cold (and now a cough) and to come back if it gets worse or changes...

Soooooooo, he has had a temp of high 37/low 38 since wednesday (saturday now). When I went to the doctor, she gave me a script for amoxyl, whichc he has been having, but no sign of the temperature (sorry, apparently he has to be 39 or over for it to be a proper temperature) going back to normal.

His poor little nose just runs like a tap, and I can't wipe it anymore cos its all red and irritated

He won't eat solids pretty much at all, and is drinking less than normal, won't even drink water, so I have resorted to getting him to suck on clean wet facewashers.

How long is this going to last, assuming it is just a cold? Should I take him back after a week of anitbiotics if nothings different, or am I just a paranoid first time mum?

If you can, I'd try not to worry about it unless it goes on for over a week (or of course if it gets higher). You can give him paracetamol to reduce his temperature if you are worried about it, but it's probably just his body fighting the infection and won't do any harm. Antibiotics won't reduce a fever if it's caused by a viral infection. It's horrible when our babies are sick, Tamsin had a similar thing a week or so ago so I know exactly how you are feeling! Hope he's much better soon.

I was told anything over 37.5 degrees is basically a fever in a baby. I guess every GP has a different opinion. Have you tried Demazin drops for Infants? Maddy was all drippy in the nose and mucosy so my GP told me to grab some Demazin from the chemist. It definately helped, along with trying to keep the fluids up.

I've tried dimetapp, but he hates it with a passion. The AB he'll eat off the spoon, but nothing else!

I'm really more worried about the lack of eating/drinking TBH, although today he was slightly better, but still had only about 3/4 of the normal amount he would drink.

He seemed a bit happier too, although only slept 1 hour in total, all day :eek: