Thread: Low Temperatures

Default Low Temperatures

Just after some advice.

Emerson came up with a rash on sunday - we took him into emergency and they said it could be either eczema or dermatitis but seeing how fast it came up probably some sort of bites. They said to make an appt with our GP and by the time we saw them the rash would either still be there and would be disappearing - and we'd have some sort of indication as to what it was.

Now Sunday he was alert, happy etc... Monday was a different story. If he wasn't crying or fussing he was asleep. He even woke up for a bottle from an afternoon nap and went back to sleep :eek: this has never happened before. He went down last at 7.30 and slept the whole night through till 7 and then had a bottle and went back to sleep for another 2 hours... On top of that his temperature dropped to 34.8 during the night and is now still only 35.5.

I cannot find ANY information on low temps - only high ones. We have a Dr's appt at 1.50 but I'm wondering if any one has any idea as to what could be going on? Thanks!

Lea I have no idea sorry. Matilda hasn't ever had low temps but then again I'm not a good source of information about temps because I rarely take hers... only if she's feeling very hot will I take her temp (as I could become obsessive about it ).

Baby_Crazy05 Guest

Lea,

Let me know what the Dr says about low temps. I usually do an under the arm test and the pamphlet says that doing it this way is usually 0.5 less than in the mouth, but even then sometimes it is lower than "normal".

But she never seems sick or anything so i don't worry too much about it ...

Not sure if this helps by DS and I both have normal body temps that are quite low, have you taken his temp when he is not sick before. Also my DS comes out in a rash when his body is fighting certain types of viruses

Ok I was offline for a bit but thought I'd let you know how it went.

One Dr said a low temperature indicated a viral infection and the other said that it just didn't really matter LOL. So its definately nothing to concerened over - unless of course it drops to 33 and then its hypothermia

As for the rash - insect bites they reckon. They are still there now though so we will have to wait and see!

Low temperatures anre unusual and in my experience, when I get a low temperature on a child, it's usually because I either didn't point the ear thermometer at the right angle or the digital thermometer was poking out the other side of the armpit ...

LOL Schmickers the Dr told me that as well. After feeling mildly defensive (LOL ) they then showed me the correct way to take his temperature with the ear thermometer while I was there. *I think* most times I'd been doing it right but when its late at night and dark and I'm tired who knows .

Not sure what thermometer you use, but just the other day at a first aid course we were talking about this. Apparently the ear one's can be less accurate in babies/kids as their ears aren't as developed and it's harder to read the temp that way. I use an under the arm one, hard to keep them still, but more accurate. xoxo

Really that's amazing Meg. I made sure that I had an ear thermometer because I thought it would be the most accurate LOL!