Thread: Magnetic locks for cupboards, easy to install? Desperate!!

Default Magnetic locks for cupboards, easy to install? Desperate!!

My DH isn't much of a handyman, well not at all actually. He doesn't even have a drill. i am desperate to get the magnetic locks for my kitchen cupboards but I'm worried he won't be able to put them in. Was it difficult and what does it involve? Thanks so much. My little one is driving me insane with his fascination of what is inside all of my cupboards and they way they are designed I can't use the standard ones.

Hey hun, most of the ones on the market are pretty easy to install.... A screwdriver should do it, we have a few different types, on one cupbaord door we actually have this plastic thing that keeps the doors shut but you can sort of "lock" on the outside, and others we have little white latch things... In drawers we have the white latch things that you move aside to open the drawer. Kmart have lots of stuff and so do Bunnings and they all come with great instructions on how to install! Hope that helps!

They definitely have those at Bunnings and someone there would be able to explain the installation if you're really worried he'd have problems. They are expensive though, and I personally find any type of cupboard lock irritating in daily use. If you have the option of gating your kitchen instead, I highly recommend it - a million times less frustrating. Good luck!

I use the magnetic locks at work and the plastic ones at home...from experience i find them all frustrating- yes! but like giving dd the option of coming into the kitchen as well. The magnetic locks are safer in the way that no little fingers can get caught. DD opens the drawers that little bit that they open with the side latch and puts her fingers in attempting to grab what she can...her fingers have been caught a few times so DH says we should get the magnetic ones...which are expensive and a bit of a pain if u dont know exactly where the magnetic is on the other side. U basically slide the disc over the area till the two magnets meet. Hope that helps a bit.

I used the white latches and for cupboards that were down low, put them at the top of the cupboard door so you could push it down to easily open the cupboard. I'm sure they're cheaper than the magnetic ones...oh and I installed them on the cupboards and drawers MYSELF!!

Thanks so much. I have two deep side cupboards that are the type that the door pulls out iykwim. Have tried different locks but these have not worked because the door pulls out. With my drawers, there aren't any space between each one so will a plastic lock work on it?

I don't think they do, Jan.