Thread: Managing separation anxiety

Default Managing separation anxiety

Some time in the last week, DS lost the ability to play on his own. At all. Its pretty classic separation anxiety- he is just learning to crawl and it seems like the more mobile he gets, the more he frets about not having us in eye sight. He wails whenever we leave the room, and even if I am across the room, he caterpillers across and grabs at my feet. But then when I pick him up, he just wants to get down!!

As I'm sure many of you have experienced, it makes life pretty hard. Going to the toilet or putting away laundry are suddenly complicated tasks!

Does anyone have any idea for how to manage separation anxiety as best possible? Do I always need to give in and pick him up/ come back straight away, or will that create a child who expects their demands be met all the time, at once? And how long does this last for?!

Thanks!

Jess we have the same thing going here for the last few weeks.... so unfortunately I don't have much to offer, but will be watching to see if anyone else does. I try talking as I leave the room (she can still hear me wherever I am in the house) or taking her with me, but it certainly makes getting things done around the house pretty tricky!

Uh oh pixie, looks like there are no answers!

I would always say to DD "Mummy is going to the toilet, I will be back" and then do my thing and then make sure she could see that I was back around. I still do this with her when I am going out of sight (she is 15 months) as she calls for me when I am not around. I think their need for mummy's comfort and presence is greater than worrying about creating a demanding child. It is prob more the opposite- knowing you are around and will come back will create a more secure baby.