Thread: Mattress Protectors

Default Mattress Protectors

What do you ladies do about protecting the mattresses? We had a very bad day yesterday with Charlotte throwing up all over her bed during her nap. It was revolting and smelt dreadful (she had been eating yoghurt). We didn't have a mattress protector and so I had to sponge and air it out but I don't think that it is completely clean. I would consider plastic on the bed but I wonder if that would be too hot. What material would you use, if anything?
    Thanks.

Morv - I actually got one from a baby shop - about $25 if I can remember. I have heard mixed opinions - some people saying not to get them because of SIDS etc, but this one is breathable and is just like a blanket over the mattress I guess. Eeeek on the big spew, hope it gets cleaned up soon.

Melinda Guest

We bought a couple of mattress protectors from either K-Mart or Big W and they have been great.

I have a few that can go in the dryer as well as some old curtain fabric that has the plastic on one side, that way her sheet goes over the cloth side of the curtain but nothing can go through it onto the mattress - seems to work for me.

I have a couple that I got at target, they're just like a fitted sheet but the underside is lined with a water resistant fabric.

So its like having 2 fitted sheets on the mattress, rather than the thick, padded kind.

I got ours from David Jones for $15 I think... it is plastic backed on the underside, and has cloth on the top side, and large elastic strips which you slip over the matress... the fitted sheet just goes on top.
    I wouldnt have been able to survive without it, seeing the number of time Aidyn has spewed in his cot, or had a nosebleed.
    When his mattress protector is in the wash I use a large bath towel under his fitted sheet for a little bit of extra protection...

I'm hearing ya Morv, I had a week of Paige being sick not long ago. When we got our cot mattress, it had a plastic cover on it so we just left it on. It can get a bit sticky when its hot, but I cover it with a blanket before I put the sheet on. On her pillow, I use a cover with plastic and Terry cloth on the outside.

We got a couple of mattress protectors for Kynan after he vomitted up avocado & yoghurt all over his cot (yuck!). One's soft & padded but doesn't seem to be hot at all. I was worried about the SIDS thing too so I held it up to my face and could breathe through it so that reassured me. The other one just seems like plastic with a cotton layer on top and I couldn't breathe through that so I don't really use it. Can't remember wher we got them from though.