Thread: meat for a 1 year old

colleeg Guest

Unhappy meat for a 1 year old

Hi all
    My DS is jsut about 1, just wanting to know how many of you give them meat,or do combine it with the food to discuise it?

im just stuck for ideas and taste.. also worry about the iron levels.

Colleeg

ange-par Guest

Colleeg

I had a lot of trouble getting meat into Ella. I cooked steak and then put it through the food processor then putting it in mashed veggies. She never knew the difference.

I was concerned about Ella's iron levels too. The Paed that we go to said as long as she eats brocolli daily she would be fine. She now only has meat twice a week and veggies every night.

Hope this helps

I give Maggie both, either straight meat or it in a dish, such as rissotto or pasta. Strips of steak are good for them to chew and suck on. One of the mums in my MG gives her daughter a chop to chew on and she loves it.

Sometimes I puree the meat, or I just rely on the cooking process to break it down (eg stews). HTH

Emily will happily eat it one day, and spit it the next.
    She likes chopped up sausages, chicken breast, and mince. But I usually have to add alot of vegetables to get her interested.

I started introducing chicken into Evan's veggies by cooking a fillet and freezing it. Then i would grate some of it in to his veggies. He didn't seem to mind. I have recently discovered that he likes lamb!

Try frying up a little bit of mince. Mine loved that and used to shove it straight in!

My daughter has dark circles under her eyes so I was concerned about this my paeditrician told me if you took multivitamins during pregnancy the babies body has enough iron levels to sustain them till 16 months. Saying that Eliza got a chop last night for dinner with silverbeet just to up that iron. I cook mine but find they flake better if they are just cooked rather than frozen. Initially I gave her a bone to have a chew on so she got the taste, we do much better with chicken than red meat for some reason
    Bec

Yasin likes his meat disguised with a bit of sauce. He eats lasagne and spag bol happily but turns his nose up at steak or sausages.

They are all so different, aren't they.......

Olivia used to ask me for "More meeeeeet pliz" from around 14 months.....shaved ham, sausage, mince, bits of steak. She loved lamb too.......

The other thing which is a good way of getting iron into them is a little plain chicken liver pate on crackers......still a huge fave of Olivia's...we introduced this at around 12 months.....

Mackenzie goes on and off meat. At 12 months she had tried pretty much all meat. She also love chomping on a chicken drum stick but make sure you take out that long skinny bone that runs down the leg first. Depending on how many teeth your little one has you may be able to just chop it up really small and feed it with mashed veggies. Miss M will sometimes eat it on it's own in a bowl while I'm preparing dinner for her but at the moment we are off veggies and meat unless I mix it with baked beans in Ham sauce (absolutly disgusting for a vegie like me!).

Last night I fried up some Chicken breast in strips & Indah sucked & chewed on that. She has also had meat balls.

Maddison is not at all a meat eater, but she will eat 6 Brussel Sprouts a large piece of Broccoli & lot's of other veggies, Indah also scoffs into vegies, but ONLY if they are finger foods, she hates pureed lumpy stuff & just gags on it, yet fingers foods she scoffs into.... I also remove that long skinny bone from a drumstick & let her chew on these & lamb chops!

Stormi Guest

Makenzie's had minced chicken for a while, I used to mix it in with other vegies. Now she usually joins us for dinner and eats what we have, so she's tried mince and steak etc.

They do change their tastes though. My 7 year old supposedly "hates' all meat. He has to eat it though, although we don't give him heaps of it coz he just has a major freak out if we do. When he was younger he couldn't get enough of it! Loved every type of meat - chops, steak, mince. He does eat lots of fruit and vegies though so I'm not too worried.

I haven't given Makenzie fingers of meat though as I'm worried she'll bite a huge piece off and choke on it, so I chop it up into little pieces for her.