Thread: Minor Sacral Skin Abnormality.....what the hell is it??

Default Minor Sacral Skin Abnormality.....what the hell is it??

Hey there All

Anyone heard of a "Minor Sacral Skin Abnormality"??

Took DS to get his 6 week checkup today and GP noted that he has something funny at the base of his back on top of the crack of his bum...the skin has 2 creases - almost like a "Y" shape leading into the crack of his bottom.

Til now noone has lead me to believe that this could be a condition of concern....until now even to the point where one midwife at the hospital remarked on how he had 2 cracks and laughed about it.....

It has been noted in my Blue Book that he has a Minor Sacral Skin Abnormality and that I should consult a Paed.

So just wondering anyone heard of this and how serious is it???

I'm booked in for an US next Tuesday but wondering how much should I be worrying - obviously already am otherwise there would be no post

Would love to hear anyones experience....

thanks

Dianna

Hi Dianna

I don’t think that you should worry. I know that the term Minor Sacral Skin Abnormality sounds a bit scary but all it means is that the skin in the sacral area (near the tail bone) is a little different that what is considered normal.
    The suggestion that you see a pead is just to make sure that there is no other problem associated with this problem. ( In other words the hospital is covering it’s @ss).
    Just because it is in your blue book does not mean that it is a major problem. If your baby had a stork bite or a mongolian spot this would also be noted in your blue book.

Again try not to worry, I’m sure that it is just a slight variation on what is considered normal.

Thanks Alan - you always come through with the goods

I've "inspected" Brodie's back side as all the reasearch I have done indicates that if the tiny dimple is still open and has fluid coming out or hair sprouting out of it that is a bigger concern.

Brodie's crack is closed and at the base it is also closed - nothing is leaking and it doesn't look odd at all - beside having that "Y" shape of skin it is completely normal.

He is pooing and weeing heaps and his legs and hips feel strong to me - rest assure this little man can push himself out of anything (he was half way up the cot the other afternoon :smt016 - cheeky monkey)

So having said all of that I am trying to keep a positive outlook and not think about it all too much

What I am interested in knowing, what is the treatment for this if something is found to be abnormal on the US?? and what are they exactly looking for on the US?? hmmm :-k

anyway - thanks for all your help and positivity - just praying that all is well [-o<

dianna

Indah has the mongolian birth mark/spot on her bum (hairy too).
    But as she is classed as a mixed child (Eurasian) this is common...

Im sure it will be nothing... dont stress!

Thanks Everyone O

I'm going to take each day as it comes....I'll wait and see what the US report shows next Tuesday - praying that it is purely a skin defect and that's all.

I have a funny feeling that DH has the same thing on his back - I inspected it the other night and there is definitely another line at the base just above his bottom - apparently this is very common to be passed down through the family.

Either way I just adore both the men in my life and just want the absolute BEST for them both - cracks and all

thanks again

Dianna