Thread: More questions!

Cool More questions!

Can u breastfed on a plane? or does it have to be express/formula?

How do u know if bubs has just got 'wind' or if its somthing more like colic or reflux. Izzy gets really bad wind, poor lil thing, and i have no idea what to do for her, its been the last couple of days shes get particuliarly more unsettled - generally in the afternoon.

She's not a vomiting baby, she just won't settle... will fed then burb go to sleep in my arms, but as soon as i put her down she is back awake (i leave her for as long as i can handle her crying, before i pick her up agian - about 10mins) But as soon as shes back in my arms shes back asleep... Is this because i'm spoiling her or she prefers to sleep upright???

DD would alwasy sleep in my arms then wake when id put her in bed. I think cos they know 'ur there' and when u put them down they want u back....i was always told not to rock her to sleep in my arms cos they will always expect that each time.

I found that when Chels had wind she would just cry....but when she had colic she would scream and try pull herself up, like crunch her body. I just went to the chemist and bought some colic drops and it sorted itself out.... i dunno if it made a difference but once she started having a dummy it seemed to help the problems as well.

Being a first time mum is all about learning and experiances....and ur doing a great job!! Well done

Cass.

You are doing a great job!

1) You can breastfeed anywhere you want to.
    Breastdeeding on the plane would be a great way of having her settled on the flight.

2) colic/reflux/wind - not sure maybe ask your child health nurse or GP.

3) you cannot spoil a baby under 12 months old. Please don't leave her longer than 10 mins ( and I am not suggesting that you are).

Sometimes Milo would be unsettled for hours unless he was in my arms. Do you have a sling?

Also, keep in mind you are in week three - growth spurt time - so she is likely to be more unsettled than normal.

maybe check out the wonder weeks book if you have not already?

Thanks...
    I'll ask my childhealth nurse about ? 2 on friday...

Hehe i couldn't leave her longer then 10mins... it barely goes past a couple lolz!
    I don't have a sling but i do have the other thing lolz mind gone completely blank!!~!~! holds baby in front of u~ that thing..

so its normal for them to feed, an want it again within 1/2 to an hour... for a couple of hours...

And with the dummy, i finally found one she likes... but how often do i let her use it? is it an all the time thing or once and while... i havn't a clue!

This last week i'm really starting to realise i havnt an idea of what i am doing. And i'm getting more an more unsettled myself, expecially coz my mums moving so far away in 2 weeks (QLD to Taz)... which means i'm moving back to my house, where theres no one there... i'm just lost, which i'm sure will pass... thanks for your help...

Chels has her dummy all the time....but will normaly just use it to get to sleep and then spits it out... or if she is being unsettled i give it to her. She has now taken up sucking her fingers instead

I know what its like to have no one close...my parents are in another state and i have no family here....just a few freinds who i rarely see.....

CHin up... your doing great!!

Keep up the good work Cass.

Abbey went through a phase of constant crying as well. 7 hours straight 3 days in a row. Turned out to be constipation and wind I spoke to my MCHN and she suggested Infacol drops and they have worked a treat. She still gets trapped wind from time to time but not as bad. The bottle says for use from 4 weeks but Abbey was on it from 3 weeks - chat to your pharmacist or doc if you are worried about using it. Also, for shifting wind, one of the girls in my BB group suggested popping them in the shower with me... and it works a treat! Abbey loves the warm water on running on her belly!
    Also, try massaging her belly in a clockwise motion and (slowly and gently) moving her legs as though she is riding a bike and then both legs up to her chest at the same time - helps move the wind.

About the sleeping thing, I had the same problem and (after a hint from another BB girl ) started putting a heated hot water bottle in Abbey's bed to warm it up and then she is happier to go to bed - might be the body warmth thing...

HTH...

MG

Cass, DS would at first only settle in my arms, later a seat, then this morning his bed (for the first time ever on his own without rocking/singing/talking!). Don't worry about it - he still hates his afternoon naps unless I wear him, so invest in a good supportive carrier. You can't spoil a baby this young, only provide love and reassurance so they find sleeping alone easier as time goes by. Hot wateer bottles and my dirty TT-shirt under his head helped DS settle in the early days - they're not needed now but I'm still using them for a bit longer, jic!

Wind - if Izzy's lips look whiter/bluer than normal, she has wind. Don't worry too much about it - English-speaking societies are obsessed with wind, to the amusement of our neighbours.

Feeding - sucking helps wind, so she could want to suck, not feed - although DS does have days he wants to feed every hour or so! As sucking hurts more than suckling (to get milk), I use my finger. If Ds wants that he can have his dummy untilhe starts on his hand/thumb/fingers, otherwise he has a feed. Just use it when she's crying, not talking- I use a dummywhen DS wants to suck, not talk, SiL used a dummy when Niece wanted to talk. DS is just under 2m, Niece just under 16m and MiL reckons DS is a better, more ready talker and has more sounds already! Scary.

thankz girls helpz alot!!!