Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mozzie allergy? and a good, natural repellant, please!

Default Mozzie allergy? and a good, natural repellant, please!

Poor Pie is having a reaction to mozzie bites.

To begin with they were just larger than normal.
    Then she had a couple which apart from being very swollen & lumpy (maybe 1cm across) looked almost blistery, and as they faded they became mottled & looked almost bruised.
    I asked the Gp (not our regular Dr) when we were there for something else & he said it's normal & she will grow out of it.
    But it has gotten worse each time she's been bitten.

Yesterday she got bitten twice (no idea where or when, I only noticed it this morning) one on the back of her hand, and her entire hand is puffed up, as well as one on her arm and it is swollen in an area of about 6 - 7 cm and red & hot to touch.

Is this really normal?
    I am thinking about taking her back to (our usual) Gp.

Also if anyone has a really good effective repellant they can recommend I would love to hear of it.. has to be safe for a 14mth old, and preferable something natural, not too many nasties.

TIA.

My DS started having this reaction last summer. It's mostly when we're on the coast, over Christmas. I can't remember the repellent we ended up getting him, it was a roll on with a green label. I also ended up getting him a cream from the chemist that worked in three ways - it had an anaesthetic, anti inflammatory and antiseptic effect. It really helped with the bites. I normally don't like using that sort of stuff on my kids, but the poor boy couldn't sleep properly, he kept scratching and crying out all night.

Having said all of that, it sounds as though a visit to your regular GP could be a good idea. Do you get alot of mozzies where you are?

I know it sounds wierd but do you have an Avon lady handy?

We have been using that SSS (skin so soft) OIL for years, it's not a repellent but it works.

Janie, I didn't think so... but then, none of us seem to be bothered, just her, every now & again. I am worried about summer coming & the warmer weather (we're in QLD).

Weird, they don't seem to bother her too much but I don't like the way they get worse each time. It can't be comfortable.

Lulu, we do, she dropped a catalogue a month or too ago ... I wonder if I can still find it

it has to be the oil. I think they have 1500 SSS products now, it's the original one though.

Oh geez... if I say 'the original SSS oil' will she know what I mean?

I think so!

we use thursday plantation repellant

Ooo I am just having this trouble with my dd. Her little foot is very swollen from bites. I'll have to try some of the oil. Lulu do you just use it day to day or put it on specifically before they go outside?
    Also can anyone recommend what to put on the bites now??

for bites i use soove

Ezy - we put it on as a repellent. I have no idea how two and two got put together but it did and mum always hands it out at a bbq, or the beach. The local Avon lady had no idea about it.

Actually I remember someone swearing by mango body butter from The Body Shop too. this customer went to Thailand or something and swears the only reason she didn't get bitten when everyone else did was the body butter.

one of DD's friends is allergic to mozzie bites and was very prone to them. She was told to start her DD on Vit B12 and it has worked! She hasn't had a bite since!

Thanks everyone, that gives me something good to go on.

I'll have to hunt down the Avon lady... I don't have the Body Shop mango Body Butter but I have their strawberry one

And I'll grab some soov tomorrow too, and check out the vit B12.

I'm gonna mozzie-proof the girl

If it's skeeter syndrome there isn't much you can do other than antihistamines. We have them on hand at Kinder as DS is horribly allergic. The cancer council also makes a sunscreen with an insect repellent in it which is really good.

What's skeeter syndrome rouge? Sorry to keep crashing your thread fleur!!

It's the name for mozzie allergy where you turn into elephant man (what happens to DS)

I used to have terrible reactions to mozzie bites when I was younger. GP recommended vitamin B12 and they worked a treat!! They smell disgusting, but from what I understand, the smell is secreted through your skin and repells the mozzies... i don't think other people can smell it!! only the pesky insects!!

Lol, Ezy it's all good I was just going to ask the same thing!

Rouge when you say elephant man... like really, really big? Her lumps are swelling to about 4-5cm across (a guesstimate, I haven't measured yet). Would that count or do you mean bigger? Do you have to get tests done? (although I don't know if Id bother, as far as I'm concerned it's too big, not normal)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast