Thread: Mucous Mahem - Advice needed!!

Default Mucous Mahem - Advice needed!!

Dh, Kyla and I have all had this horrible virus, Kyla was the first to catch it and still shows no signs that it is going. It's this awful mucousy cold, with a really bad cough, blocked ears and runny nose.
    Anyway, I'm getting so over it after 2 weeks of Kyla being grumpy and snotty. And because we;ve all felt awful Kyla and I haven't been to gymbaroo, MG or anywhere for 2 weeks.
    Kyla's runny, stuffy nose is making it hard for her to feed - I try to use an aspirator but she absolutly cracks it. The chemist suggested baby otrivin drops which I have been using (she also cracks it), but they don't seem to help that much. She was also on amoxil for a week due to an ear infection and I have had a vaporisor in her room with some eucalyptus.
    Does anyone have ANY advice on how to dry up this mucous. I feel like between Kyla, DH and I, we're drowning in a pool of it and I'm fed up!!

Tallon had a cold a few weeks ago. Doesn't sound like it's anything like what you've all got. But I resorted a couple of nights to giving him demazin, and it helped him breathe so much better. We also used Fess saline drops in his nose which helped clear it, usually made it go down his throat tho.. ick.

Hope Kyla feels better soon

At the moment we are all experiencing this is our household. I tend to get over it and Eliza catches it then DH then me it is all a vicous cycle. I bought a vaporiser and it has been worth its money, also we use Dimetapp for infants and that seems to slow the mucous down. Good luck ....I hope you a cold free house hold soon
    Bec
    PS I know about staying away from Gymbaroo it is annoying thou when you return and half the kids are all snotty and turning up

Thanks Ivana and Bec - Might have to go to the chemist and check out the Dimetapp and Demizen. Do you find that they get cranky if you give it to them during the day?

Carrie, I so hear you!! Coco has had the same thing for about 9 days now. I have had it for 4 days and have never felt more tired in my life. coco is on antibiotics for a chest infection, and her nose runniness comes and goes. I tried dimetapp and it did absolutely nothing . I got fess nose drops and use the thing that gets the gunk out, but don't use the drops, just creates more snot!! I use a vapouriser and put eucalyptus oil with it, seems to keep her reasobalby clear at night. The cough is hanging on though and she's waking up so often, it's killing me.
    Hope it all clears up for you, would help if the weather improved. IT's been raining and awful all week and Im sure that's why it sticks around. The sun came out for half a day and I took coco out for 10 mins of time in the sun. Im hoping for some more sun in teh next week as Im sure it helps.
    good luck and sorry I haven't been much help, but just wanted to let you know we're in teh same position!! xoxo

Are you breastfeeding? A good squirt of breastmilk up the nose can help clear out all the snot. Sounds funny but it does work!

Hey Meg - Hope little Coco gets better soon too!
    Unfortunatley I'm not BF so can't use the breastmilk trick.

I got some Dimetapp from the chemist so we'll see how that goes - also have the vaporiser going.
    Thanks all!

Seems we've woken up to Coco coughing twice as much. What is going on. It stresses me, isn't she meant to be better... I think the weather is making things worse, for the first time in about a year it's rained pretty much every day. Not happy!! She seems to be talking and laughing, but just coughing so much. And for the first time today in 9 days of sickness, I had to put all the hot water on and put her in steam for her cough. Shouldn't that happen at the beginnig...???
    xo

Meg, I'm sorry to hear that Coco is still blocked up. It's hard when their airways are so tiny as it is. It sounds like you're doing everything you can though to help it. What does the doctor say?

Mel

Hi Melbo, haven't been back to Doc. Im not able to get an appointment until wed. She is on antibiotics though and sounds happy, I just dont' want it getting worse, particularly with this cold weather. I guess coughs can hang around for ages, but I just thought it would be sounding better. Saying that, my cough is worse today too, maybe it's just the way the bug is.

Yeah it sounds like it may be the bug. Some of these respiratory things are notoriously hard to shake off. I hope things improve soon, if not before your appointment on Wednesday.

Mel

Hey Meg - It sounds like what we have all got! It's really weird - started with a runny nose which then stopped and then a few days later started again and the cough is awful - I've had one for over a week now, and it came a bit later.
    If Coco's on antibiotics, I suppose that would combat any chest infection too.
    I can't wait for it to go - atm I've still got the cough, blocked nose and bad sinus pain. Kyla's probably the same. She had the Dimetapp last night. Don't know if it helped or not.