Thread: Mucous in Poos

Default Mucous in Poos

I've searched and searched and can't find an answer....

Em is a bit sick right now - cough, stuffy nose etc. Just a virus apparently. Then this afternoon I noticed that he had mucous all through out his poo this afternoon? Is this something to worry about or just the way his body is dealing with the infection?

Thanks!

I remember reading a thread a while back where someone asked about mucous in their babies poo, and the response from one of the nurses on here was that it was ok... thats all I know though, sorry I dont have more to tell you Lea.
    I hope Em is feeling better really soon.

Hi Lea - jenna had this recently when she got a nasty dose of gastro. Every dr I told about it said it wasn't really a concern.
    Not unless it hangs around for more than 4-5 days or so.
    Keep him hydrated as the mucous in Jenna's poo appeared a day or two before she started getting really ill, and wouldnt drink anything. Luckily I tried to keep her hydrated as much as possible before the bad patch hit so she had some stores.
    I wouldn't bother doing anything about it unless it gets worse, gets bloody too, or hangs around for more than 3-4 days.
    Hope he gets better soon!

Thanks girls that's what I thought!!

And for the life of me Amber I could not find that thread!! I looked everywhere for it because I remember reading it!

I have been told that it is fine Tayneesha had a little bit of this in her poo when she was young and then she had some blood through it so i was totally stressed out. The blood was from a tiny tear and healed ok. I would still maybe go to the DR to get it checked out as well just to be safe and for your sake as well!

I hope the Em gets better son, it can be so very stressful when they are like this. Poor little one. Big hugs and hope all gets better soon.

Jen

Nat, you know when you have a runny nose and you can feel it going down the back of your throat? Where does it go?? You swallow it. It doesn't digest and comes out the other end. Bet you never looked at your poo when you've got a really bad cold....

Oh that is so gross Kim LMAO!!! No I've never looked haha!

Lea, the same would happen to my three as babies and stil does now. Especially when they have real phlegm-y coughs, they would just swallow it instead of spitting it out, so it would come through in their poos.

Ahhhh, I noticed this the other day when i changed Josiah's nappy and wondered what the heck it was - I figured if it happened again then I'd investigate more - now I don't have to worry.

Thanks!!

Bel

Whew glad I found this! Jovie had mucous in her poo this morning & had a virus earlier in the week so I was thinking we may head out to the GP today if needed but reading this makes me think its all part of the virus & to just keep an eye on it.

Our 3 month old had mucous in his poo. His paed told me it meant he could be a bit lactose intolerant and that I should go off all dairy products for a while (not fun!). His poo is still mucousy from time to time and so far he hasn't been sick with any colds or viruses (that I'm aware of). Visiting the paed again on the 18th so hopefully he'll tell us a bit more about it. If I remember, I'll post what he says.