Thread: Mums to girls - I need your expertise!

Default Mums to girls - I need your expertise!

I have a 4 month old baby girl who recently, when ever I take her nappy off, has been reaching down and looking like she is trying to scratch her vagina.
    I though she may have thrush but am not sure - she is a little red around her bottom. she is also very squirmy.
    Is it normal for a 4 month old to reach down to her vagina??

Thanks Carrie

Carrie, I'm not a mum to a girl - but thought I would reply as my son who is corrected age 5 months has been doing exactly the same for the past month. He makes himself red from all the scratching and pulling at his boy bits. I don't believe he has a rash/itchiness I just think he's exploring his body. Hopefully it's the same for your daughter.

Carrie,
    It is all part of the exploration, feeling, senses, etc,etc .... Perfectly normal...

Carrie, your baby girl is completely normal. Paige still touches herself whenever she has no nappy on. Erin didn't do it as much and Lindsay, well, once he found his willie he couldn't keep his hands off it! (typical male LOL). It is natural and to them it is like a new part of their body.

Kirsty77 Guest

Yep Gemma does it to. Sounds normal to me.

If you think it might be thrush... get a light and have a good look down there (sounds horrible. If she has little white dots around her vagina it is thrush.
    But as the other girls have said it can be quite normal for them to do what you have described.

Tanya

angelfish Guest

Milly does that sometimes, although I usually give her a toy to hold instead when I change her. I think they just do it because the vulva area is covered most of the time, so they're curious. My little boy ages 2 years 8 months still has little stages of interest in his genitals. the other day he was in the bath pouring water on himself, and said he was "watering my penis so it will grow"!!!

Lol Angel! There's something you'll have to remember for his 18th!
    Thanks for your replies everyone.
    I haven't seen any white dots or major rashes - so hopefully it is just exploration. I knew that boys liked to touch their "bits" but wasn't sure if girls were the same..(she's my first).

Thanks again

Carrie

Matilda still does it O