Thread: Muscle Weakness...not crawling

Default Muscle Weakness...not crawling

My DD is 10 months has has shown no signs of crawling forward. She can scoot backwards and move in circles VERY well but mostly uses her arms to do this. Lots of people say it may not be an issue and she will crawl soon or may just walk but she doens't even pull herself up on anything. I've read that this isn't a problem until they are 1 year old and if they aren't moving by then it may be because of muscle weakness. Are there any signs for this and how would I know this is the reason?

Is there anyone who has babies who simply crawled one day with no other signs? I don't mind that she doesn't crawl (it's easier!!) but I also don't want her to have any issues either.

Hi there, SOrry to hear you are worrying about your little girl. Although i am no dr etc etc and have no real idea what i am talking about i can tell you my friends DS who is 13months is not crawling. At 10 months he wasnt moving anywhere but he has had a rough start to life with bacterial meningitis and although he has been well for 7 months he is behind. He could not sit unsupported, roll or anything and it turns out he was muscle weakness in his back. Through physio he can now sit, pull him self up to stand and is starting to cammando crawl. All this achieved in the last 2-3 months. I'm sure your DD is fine and will do it all in time but if you are worried maybe a visit to your MCHN or GP would settle your mind. TBH i dont think my 8 month old will move for ages yet either as she very rarely even rolls and hates been on her tummy but as you say its easier so i'm not complaining "yet"

My daughter is 10 months tomorrow and theres no crawling in this household - she only learnt to sit up 6 weeks ago. Has noooooo intention nor idea on crawling or pulling herself up.

My other two girls werent crawlers....they didnt walk till 14 mths.

I can understand your concerned, especially being your first, but really just because your little girl isnt doing what the text books say , theres no need to send yourself into a wuthering mess......honestly, one day, she will just start to chuffle around and before you know it she will be crawling. She may not even be a crawler, (my girls werent), maybe she's saving her strength for walking. I dunno, but your little girl sounds fine.....

My DS was crawling really well and pulling up on furniture at 8 months. My DD is almost 8 months and has only just learnt to sit in the last couple of weeks, she's showing no signs of crawling at all. All babies are so different and most will reach their milesones when they are ready to. I know it's frustrating and difficult not to compare what our baby is doing to others the same age but try to be patient and if you are really concerened a visit to the peadiatrician wouldn't hurt.

Hi Jordie
    Noah is not crawling at all either... and he is just 1 day younger than Mackenzie!!!
    App i was a v late crawler and i didnt walk til about 18 months.. so i guess it is my fault LOL!!!
    I am not worried about it, i would lie to say i dont compare and sometimes worry a little (esp when everyone assumes he is crawling and even asks me if he is cruising arund yet!) I know it will eventaully happen... it is like my head knows not to worry but you cant help it??
    anyway, just thought i would tell you we are in the same boat - he sits v well and has for a while and rolls around and kind of 'swims' on the spot but that's it.... he doesnt scoot backwards really (so see they are all diff)
    MBear - did they just stand up one day and walk? never crawl? how amazing!