Thread: My 2 year old is driving me bonkers

Default My 2 year old is driving me bonkers

My DS has just turned 2, and he has never been too bad with tantrums but just this past week he's been a little terror!

I know that you're meant to stay cool calm and collected and not yell back (which I'm trying DESPERATELY to do) but it's hard so hard when you're getting your 5 month old to sleep, only for her to wake up when he starts screaming from his room next door.

He's had a cold and cough lately, which I know could be a contributing factor, but I give him pain relief, give him food and water, try to console him, and even try to PLAY with him... but he just doesn't want a bar of me!

I know that when they throw their tantrums it's them mainly coming to terms with boundaries and not being in control of their bodies and some advice I've had is to cuddle them sometimes and let them be other times.. but he just gets mad at almost everything!

My DS doesn't talk yet or understand much so I can't reason with him with words, or find out what's wrong. The other day was so bad... he was throwing tanty's all morning- banging his head on everything and everything (including ME!) and rolling about on the floor liking an evil spirit is exiting his body or something! I had to call PIL's to look after him to see if he was unwell or if he was just bored. Surely enough- he's was an angel at their place doing almost everything right, and when I go and pick him up, he automatically starts throwing tantrums!!

What is the best thing to do?? I know I'm not alone, and I just have to live through it... but does anyone have some good suggestions?? I'm SOOO tired from him waking up at 5.30-6 am yelling and screaming.. I'm almost falling asleep writing this message!

Thanks for reading guys!!!

Hugs to you... I know exactly what you are going through... My 2.5yr old seems to be the loudest when I am putting my 4.5 month old to bed. As you said you know you aren't supposed to yell back at them when they are being terrors but I will be honest, I can't help myself I get sooooo ANGRY and I just don't know what else to do. So you are certainly not alone.

The thing that I find that works if you can handle the yelling and protesting is just ignorning them when they are being like that. I find the more that I protest against him the worse he gets.

I have tried the naughty corner, sending to bedroom, taking things off him and he just doesn't care.

YOU ARE NOT ALONE...

Good Luck xxoo

oh how I feel your frustration.. Although Jacob has just started coming good.. I am finding his lack of sleep was the biggest cause of his problems.. Since he no longer day naps some days are worse then others.

Yesterday I "made" him have a day sleep and he slept 13 hours overnigth and has been awesome today...

So my suggesstion is to get on top of his sleeping if you have noticed he is sleepong less..

Where in Melbourne are you? Maybe we should let our 2yo's go bonkers together! Mine always wants to sing or dance when my 10monther needs to sleep!

Sorry about the late reply everyone!

Thank you all so much for your posts- I knew I wasn't the only one, HAHA

He has settled down in the last couple of weeks since posting. I think he's realised he doesn't get anywhere with flapping around on the floor Don't get me wrong, he's still TERRIBLE lol

mickyndan: Yes I agree! Yelling makes it worse and I started off doing that, but I am now much quiter He doesn't understand much unfortunately so I cannot try naughty corners etc.. I just have to put him in his room (it has a safety gate which he still can't open) he cries and cries in there but don't know if he gets why I did it!!

aussienic: Thanks for the advice about sleeping.. I think it's definitely a contributing factor! He sleeps thru the whole night, but only for 7-10 hours (which drives me mad!)

cindyb: I think I'm near you! I'm in Endeavour Hills.. maybe we should figure out something and organise a play date!! I'm looking into daycare maybe twice a week for Michael soon... hopefully won't be too expensive!

Liz I'm so sorry- for some reason I didnt get a notification that you wrote again!

We should definately try to organise a catch up!

I am really busy the next few weeks as we are moving house but once i am settled i plan on having all my BB friends over for a play in our new wonderful yard!