Thread: My 6 month old DS has a cold...how do I...?

Default My 6 month old DS has a cold...how do I...?

...clear out his snotty nose?

Do I just leave it or try to get the 'snot' out?

He seems to be breastfeeding okay...and sleeping well too (first time in months!!!)

What do you think?

if he's sleeping and eating well I wouldn't panic too much - you can by fess nose drops (saline) with an aspirator from the chemist which can help clear the passages etc - although the child is often not real happy about the aspirator. Otherwise keep an eye on him for temperatures, lethargy, rashes etc that may be the sign of a different infection and may need attention. Good feeding and lots of wet nappies is all a good sign though.

Hope his little nose clears soon.

when my bubs have colds i always use a vapouriser at night for them - it helps them breathe loads easier and keeps their airways moist so they don't cough too much. Some people do clean out their little ones noses with 'Fess" but i havent ever done it myself as i hate putting stuff up my nose so wouldn't do it to mine - but i know some people who swear by it! Demazin is quite good for drying them up temporarily do we use that at night too - i think that can be used from 6months.

hope your little boy feels better soon

Julie x

we use dimetapp (which is like demazin I think) there is an infant version and you can get suger free and colourfree.
    and also a vaporiser in his room at night can help too.

We have just been through this ourselves. I used a little bit of panadol and also got the Demazin Cold Relief for babies from the chemist which seemed to work quite well. I also..some people may jump up and down about this because its not recommended for bubs under 12mnths.. put a little bit of Vicks on the soles of his feet and covered them with socks under his jumpsuit at night.