thread: My almost 5 month old suddenly hates baths

Jan 2011
    Perth

My almost 5 month old suddenly hates baths

My DD is four months and three weeks and used to love Bathtime, however the last three nights she has screamed blue murder. I thought this only really happened to older babies and toddlers?

She's not hungry, too hot or too cold at Bathtime either. How can we encourage her to like baths again? it's part of poor Daddy's special sleepytime ritual with her.

Mar 2006

Have you tried the shower? All my kids absolutely love the shower.

Jun 2009
    vic

Yeah I second the shower. Otherwise has she got nappy rash that could be stinging when in the bath? Just a thought.

Apr 2006
    Perth

Third the shower - all our girls have loved shower time on daddy's chest.

Is her bath water warm enough? I've always been surprised by just how warm they like it, and the required warmth increases as they get older

Jan 2011
    Perth

Em I don't think it's nappy rash. She has actually had nappy rash for the first time in her life but it's pretty much clear now and bathing didn't bother her when it was at its worst.

Shower is a good idea. Thanks girls.

Jan 2011
    Perth

Lulu not sure re the water. We will try warmer tomorrow perhaps.

Nov 2006
    brisbane

Why don't you get in with her? My kids loved having that closeness with me in the bath :-)

Jan 2011
    Perth

Boomba we don't have a bath alas- she's in the baby bath. I'd dearly love to bathe with her in a big bath though

Nov 2006
    brisbane

:-( then maybe a shower with her :-)

Oct 2007
    Middle Victoria

We didn't have a bath for awhile with DD (then had a bathroom reno! ). DH was comfortable standing in the shower with DD but i found it easier to sit on the floor of the shower with DD. I could also rest her face down over my knee if i needed hands free. As she got older, i sat her in the bumbo in the shower and sat next to her. However, DS throws himself back in the bumbo so it doesn't work for all kids. This morning, i had DD and DS in the shower with me.

Jan 2011
    Perth

Hmm she's developed a cold and cough (her first ever ) so maybe the fussiness had something to do with that?

Mar 2011
    Sydney, Australia

Yeah Ladylove that probably would have something to do with it. She might have just been feeling crummy, I know with my DD that the bath really gets her tired, relaxes her alot so perhaps she wasnt not liking the bath just all of a sudden all the tiredness and icky sickness hit her there becuase she was all relaxed. Its what my DD used to do. Shes older now so handles it better providing she isnt too tired by the time she gets in the bath. When she is well she will prbably go back to normal, if not there is always the shower.. which my DD hates with a passion! LOL

Jan 2009
    In my own little fantasy world

My DD always hated the bath if she was overtired. It's such a fine line between tired & overtired, so hard to tell.

Jan 2011
    Perth

Yep and DD is a baby who cannot really wind down or switch off easily. She never sleeps without a huge fight and if I try putting her down earlier or spending quiet time with her pre-sleep it does not work either as she just stays awake and super active/alert until she is overtired then wham it's all on.

She seems happy now though - the mucous is making her cough a bit and she sounds very sinusy but she is happily talking to her toys right now .... I think her mama is way more miserable and concerned than she is!

Apr 2006
    Perth

Definitely take her in the shower if she's all stuffed up - the steam will be great for that. DD3 got a cold when she was a week old and its the only thing that gave her relief.

Jan 2011
    Perth

That's a good idea. I hate it when she coughs though. Makes me feel so anxious. I made a dr appointment for early Wed in case she's still sick- couldn't get an earlier app.

Jan 2011
    Perth

Ok so I think the bath issues had something to do with her coming down with the cold as she loves her bath again, though DH has been filling a shallower baby bath. She still has her cold but I think maybe when she was 'coming down' with it she was feeling unsettled but is ok now.