Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My baby girl has tonsilitis really bad :(

Unhappy My baby girl has tonsilitis really bad :(

My 18mo little girl has had really high fevers since Monday night but they kept going down then coming back again.... she's been off her food since Tues morning too hardly eating anything at all and only really drinking cows milk or having breastfeeds.
    We've offered her juice too sometimes (which we don't normally do) and she has been taking some of that too..... thankfully she isn't dehydrated and has enough wet nappies. I was worried I'd have to get her into hospital again (she was 6mths ago for a virus she had) and get her put on IV fluids again which is awful because of the canula part.....

Took her off to GP this morning who got us in straight away when i mentioned 'fever' for 2.5 days and it turns out she has Tonsilitis quite bad..... I feel awful that I didn't know and was trying to get her to eat something. Any wonder she didn't want to!

I want my happy, bubbly, energetic, talkative toddler back! she's fast asleep. Have some custard and tinned fruit I'll offer her when she wakes, that should be ok for her to eat as it's soft. Tonsilitis is just AWFUL I had it a few weeks ago and I was miserable so can only imagine how bad she feels.

Oh Shanti, your poor little DD... Its so hard when they are sick, isn't it?

DD has had a bad cough for week or two now... she coughs, then cries, says "Oww, mama!" and it breaks my heart because I can't help her.

You're onto it now... she will get better... be strong!

Big hugs for you and your dd. Nothing worse than tonsillitis. DD2 had it a little while back. She would fall asleep in my arms, didnt eat much at all. Thankfully the ab's help clear it up quickly.

Thanks girls. Yep she's on antibiotics, which I really don't like such young kids being on but I feel I don't have a choice as she's pretty crook .... she keeps falling asleep on me too, only good thing about it is I am getting lots of cuddles!!

GP said her throat is pretty swollen, because of that I'm worried she's going to stop breathing or something! does that happen with it? Never heard of that happening?

Shanti I don't think so... I had tonsilitis really really badly a while ago, I was on daily penicillin jabs in the bum to try and control it, it was so swollen and sore that I had to dose myself with anaesthetic jelly just to try and eat/drink... but breathing wasn't an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by OceanPrincess View Post
    Shanti I don't think so... I had tonsilitis really really badly a while ago, I was on daily penicillin jabs in the bum to try and control it, it was so swollen and sore that I had to dose myself with anaesthetic jelly just to try and eat/drink... but breathing wasn't an issue.
    Thank you. Geez you must have been crook with it! I had it a few weeks ago and it was horrific!

Awww, the wee darlin', I used to get tonsilitis really bad when i was younger all the time, it was awful! I would have marathon sleep sessions to get over it!!

Big hugs coming her way xxxxxx

Oh hun Ds1 has just gotten over this its awful hey! Hope she is better soon xxxx

Quote Originally Posted by Shanti View Post
    Thank you. Geez you must have been crook with it! I had it a few weeks ago and it was horrific!
    Well fortunately (or not? LOL... ) it was a side-infection to glandular fever... so I was so out of it with glandular that I didn't notice it too much... I also had liver issues and sinusitis so I was a right mess!

The pharmacist that I was buying the jelly stuff off took pity on me after a while and started charging me the wholesale price for the stuff because I was going through so much of it and it retailed at about $120 a jar...

Woe was me!!!

Oh I hope she feels better soon, DD had tonsilitis just last week, thankfully the AB's kicked in quickly and she wasn't unwell for long.

i hope shes feeling better soon darl

My Dd has really just gotten over it now. She had it for a week and a half, and was living off basically nothing. She went on AB's that she was allergic to, so came out in a fully body rash and had to be taken off. The giveaway sign to remember is really rancid breath.
    My little girl was just so sick, you could see the puss in her throat.

I hope your DD improves soon, but remember it does take a while. Just offer juice, even if it is something you wouldn't normally give. THey are more likely to drink it

poor little girl....the ab's should make a huge difference to her...remember they come down with things quick but with a bit of help they perk up quick too....just give her anything she will take, yoghurt, those frozen yoghurt icecream things, banana smoothies, offer water all day, anything to keep fluids up. when she gets hot try sponging her down with lukewarm water...

Shanti. I hope she feels better soon. It's so hard when they are hurting but there is not much you can do to help them isn't it.

ETA: Can you give her some pro-biotics with those antibiotics? DS got thrush in his mouth when he had ABs the first time so I put some inner health plus in his bottle. The chemist said it was ok. You might want to double check though as I'm not an expert. It helped DS.
    Last edited by Rowellen; August 12th, 2010 at 02:17 PM.

Thanks everyone for your posts.

Rowellen - I thought of that but because we're BF she is getting all of those probiotics through the breast milk!

Times like these i am extra glad we are still BF'ing as she hasn't taken much else!!! She's drinking plenty of water too luckily so she's not dehydrated. Had some tinned fruit pieces tonight for dinner so that's something.

Oh the poor little love! Hope she's feeling better soon.

I second Rowellen's pro biotics. When Darcy started CC she got tonsillitis really badly 4 times in four months. You could see the pus and smell it! erck. Then there was the thrush....some suggested the pro biotics and she picked up so quick.

's for you both. Hope she's feeling better soon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast