Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My poor bubba...

Annika's Mummy Guest

Default My poor bubba...

I took Annika to the doctors yesterday, because she was wheezing, and screaming excessively (even for her!). She also wouldn't take hardly any formula, and I was worried about her getting dehydrated because it is a stinking hot day. Turns out she was wheezing because she was so hysterical coupled with extra fluid from her milk. The doctor seemed to think she had SEVERE colic (as well as her reflux), which he explained was a five letter word for 'I don't know why she's hurting'. As the colic was so extreme, he sent us for some x-rays on her belly and chest, to see if there was some internal reason why she's in so much pain. I have another doctor's appointment today to go over the results of the x-ray, and have a pediatrician's appointment in a week or so.

On the midwifes advice, I switched from Karicare Gold, to just the standard Karicare, because the Gold can sometimes be hard for their little systems to digest. I was wondering if anybody has had success with switching the formulas?

Hi Jade,

I never used Karicare. Is it a HA formula? the HA formulas (a few brands make it) are partially hydrolysed, so pre-diegsted if you will, and make it easier for digestion. But the midwife or MCHN/ECHN should know.

Good luck with the appt today & on getting a paed. appt so fast. I have to wait 2 months + for Milo's next one.

Annika's Mummy Guest

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure if it's a HA formula, I'll have to have a look in a minute .

I was really lucky to get a ped appointment so fast, there was a cancelation, so I jumped a the chance! Originally the doc said she'll prob grow out of her problems before I even get in to see the pedi.

Annika's Mummy Guest

I took Annika to her follow-up appointment, which was with a different, more experienced doctor. He said he's never seen anything like this before, and is trying to get me in to see the pedi sooner, preferably tomorrow. He doesn't know what it is, but says he doesn't think it's reflux or colic, more something that's gravity related, possibly to do with her breathing. I'm so upset In the meantime ladies, we need some prayers!

I used to use S26 Gold, but was causing Chelsea alot of troubles. I now use Karicare and have never looked back. She loves it, we have very little problems now (use to be: constipation, severe pain, coliky, just generally didnt take to it).

I hope you find some answers......ill be thinking of you. Goodluck ((HUGS))

Jade, I hope you get to see someone soon, and that it is nothing too serious.

Aww poor thing, I hope shes ok. We use Heinz Nurture Gold 1 and have never had any problems with Jesse at all... from his poos to colic. While i was breast feeding he had the lot. Is Kuricare the one they were saying was full of sugar on the news a few months back? or was that the toddler one?

I never seen any thing on Karicare...would be interested to know though?
    I read the tin and it mentions nothing about sugar...unless its hidden in some other name?

I have Karicare 1-Infant (from birth)

Sounds like it's not a lot to do with formula? unless it's just after she feeds. I'm glad the more experienced doctor supported you as it sounds v. serious to have a baby that upset, wheezing sounds bad too like asmtha or something. Hope you get it all sorted out soon! Let us all know what happened for your poor bubba (and poor you too!)

Yeh, it was on A Current Affair a few months back.. reason i remember it was Kuricare because they referred to the ad where i think it was a bear or something saying how it wouldnt want to feed it's baby another species milk or something. I think it was referring to Kuricare Toddler Gold though. I know my sister was feeding it to my niece for the extra calsium as she wouldnt drink cows milk and she stopped straight away when they aired that. I know it was since Jesse was born cos hes on formula and i searched the tin.

Hi there

Try NAN formular its gentle on their stomachs. I changed to that and my son Callum was fine.

Just thought I would pop in.

Good luck

Annika's Mummy Guest

Thanks for the replies ladies, I really appreciate it.

I got a phone call from my doctor last night, who spoke to the pediatrician (unfortunately I am unable to get in to see him in the next few days), but the pedi has suggested that Annika could have an ulceration if she does indeed have reflux. He told my doctor to prescribe Losec (stronger than Zantac), Gaviscon, Infant panadol, and to use an AR formula. If she isn't improving by Monday, then we'll have to come up with another plan of attack. We've already tried the thickened formula, but wanted to start the meds in the morning, so I'm just waiting for her to wake up and see how it goes.

Good luch Jade, I hope things go well for you.

For you other guys, the ad with the karicare bear was for toddler milk.

Jade- i hope everything with Annika, turns out fine, good luck with trying the meds hope it works out.

Annika's Mummy Guest

Well so far she's been worse. I rang the doctor and left a msg for him to call me back, and when he did, he said that if she hasn't improved by Sunday to give her another dose of Locep before bed as well. It's breaking my heart to see her like this.

Oh Jade im so sorry hun, i hope she starts to improve asap for you. You hate being sick yourself, so to see your little one, it hurts even more. ((Hugs))

Jade so sorry to hear your little one's so unwell. It must be so hard when you can't just fix the problem. I hope it gets sorted out soon and she's feeling better! Big hugs!

Is she crying all the time or just (!) after feeds?
    My 2 friends who have had kids with reflux found they tended to feed often because they were hungry, but as soon as they had fed a little bit they started crying because it hurt them?
    Thickened formula helped one friend, as it made the formula settle in his stomach.
    I'm thinking of you lots and lots what an awful thing to watch your bubba go through. Give her lots of cuddles from all of us in here!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast