Thread: Nasal Aspirator....

Default Nasal Aspirator....

Hi for a few days ds has had a bit of a cold, and this afternoon his nose is really yucky

I have read the instructions that come with it, so i know what to do, but, im really nervous about it

If you have used on before how did you do it to make it easier on bubs and yourself?

good luck with it i used one for Ryan a couple of times without any real success but i think it was my inability to follow through the instructions i think it would be better id you had someone there to help tilt the head and hold bub still

Thanks shaz, i will give it a try and see how i go, i dont have no one around atm but he is almost asleep so i might try then? Do you think it will bother him?

I found the best way is to use the saline drops (sometimes they come with the aspirator), put a few drops in each nostril to loosen everything up, the squeeze the air out of the aspirator, place it in the nostril then release your grip so t then suck in iykwim!!! Is easy once you do it a few times!! Good luck!!!

How did you go ?

Ryan thrashed around and carried on i think he was scared after putting the saline drops in but if only he had of known i was trying to help not to hurt him i gave plenty of cuddles and tried to get him in the best possible postion to do it but if he freaked i freaked IYKWIM

i let my DD play with it (clean of course) first so she is used to it and then also i give her something similar to squeeze like the top of a eye dropper and then i use the one on her nose. i do it as she is upright on my hip. she would freak out if i layed her backwards. and the runnier the easier it is to get out. she sorta giggles as it comes out like it must tickle or something. she gets annoyed after about 3 goes. also, it makes her cold duration so much shorter. i love em. (its pretty gross though)

I used it once about a month ago and found it to be a complete waste of money and time. We used it properly and it sucked a heap of snot out of his nose but his nose was full of snot again about 1 min later! I dont reckon there is any way you could use it without upsetting them, it would be a very strange feeling having that up your nose! GL, hope it works well for you

My sister used one with her dd and found them very helpful. I think what shellbell said sounds the best, although with xavier I haven't needed to use one because the first snotty nose he was only a couple of weeks old and he managed to snort breast milk out his nose which fixed the problem and subsecuent times I would wait until he sneezed and then use a cloth or tissue to catch the little goobers and this is icky but drag them out of his nose. But he is a very good sneezer like his mum lol, DH commented yesterday he thinks he enjoys sneezing.

I hope he gets better soon though.