Thread: Nasty Rash

Default Nasty Rash

Hi All...

Hannah has a nasty rash all over her little face and on her chest and stomach. At first it just looked like normal baby pimples on her face...but seems to have spread. The pimples are red with white in the middle. At 4 weeks old, what could it be? Anyone else had something like this? Her temp seems ok, and she seems well other than the sniffles from a cold.

I'm probably worrying for nothing....but thought I'd seek some opinions anyway. The CHN said it sound like nothing to worry about (over the phone)

Karlee Guest

My son recently had what sounds similiar to this and it turned out to be excema. He had to go to the gp and get some cream to help it. You could do a google search on it and it should give you some examples of the rash, or take her to your gp.

Hi Jules,

I tried having a look in my baby book for you, but there are a couple of different rashes that newborns/infants can get, and without seeing it I cant be too sure. Everything that was listed didn't seem to be anything too serious though. Although if it is eczema you will need to be using creams such as sorbolene, and make sure there is nothing in her bath gel/soap that caould be aggravating it.

HERE is a thread about ways to treat Eczema, hopefully it will help to give you some ideas!

Matilda's "milk" rash was awful around 4 weeks after she was born. I took her to the CHN to make sure. So if in doubt I would have it checked if you can, I know its hard after c/s and being out of town. I hope you get some answers!

Matthew had a rash around then too. They are like little whiteheads and red, seem redder when he was feeding for some reason. They seemed to be everywhere, all over his head, face, chest and back.

Apparently they are normal and they did disappear after a couple of weeks. I use baby sorbolene on them, just more for me then anything, felt like I was doing something!

thanks! I took Hannah to see the dr this afternoon. He said it's seborrheic dermatitis (a "moderate to severe" case apparently). He's advised me to use sorbolene (spot on advice girls!!) often during the day to keep her skin moist (especially with the heater on at night), and if it doesn't start to get better, or if it gets worse, he'll prescribe cortisone. It looks really bad on her chest, and it's in her ears and on her scalp. Poor kid. At least it's nothing serious.

Default reply

Juliette, I know you've already been to the doctor, but just wanted to let you know Will had that also and the MCHN and DR said it could use sorbolene,but also a very mild quarterzone(sorry can't spell) cream called SIGMACORT 1%, it really helped and very quickly, use very sparingly-just thought I'd put my 2cents worth in.

Thanks Nadia! Can you get sigmacort without a prescription?

Juliette, Matthew has had an extremely bad milk rash for the pass 4 weeks, makes it so hard to take photos of him - I call him my little spotty man, anyway he has it all over his face, chest, back and the other day I could see what I thought was eczema developing under his chin on top of his rash, I`ve been using Sorbolene on it and yesterday I brought some products from beauty and the bees and the improvement has been amazing.

I suffer from eczema so I keep a close eye on Matthew but it`s so hard when he`s always covered in milk spots, at his young age I don`t want to use anything harsh on him so opted for the beauty and bees range.

Take Care

Deeanne

Hey Jules!
    I'm glad you were able to get her rash diagnosed. Luckily it is nothing too serious, and hopefully will start to clear up a bit soon now that you know what to use on it!
    Give Hannah a cuddle from me!

Custardtart Guest

You can get cortisone cream from the chemist without a prescription, but it's not a great idea to use much of it as it remains in the body. I used it out of necessity while I was pregnant with Christine, as my skin itched so much I was tearing welts in myself as I slept. No harm came of it, but it is something to be aware of.
    Only use it as necessary, try the sorbolene first and see if you get good results from that.

Kerrie