Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Natural nappy rash cream

Question Natural nappy rash cream

DS is teething and his poo's are really bad and giving him the worst nappy rash ever.

I was using a paw paw salve that i got from a cloth nappy site which usualy does the trick for slight nappy rash but is doing nothing now as it is so bad.

I am using Bepanthen which is slowing working but i would so much rather use a natural cream.

Does any one know of a really good nappy rash cream that is natural?

try just using corn flour. I have been told that its what they used in the 'old days' and works just as well as the commercial stuff, some people say even better.

try the gaia soothing lotion!
    im weary of using too much powder as it abosrbs the urine but leaves it to sit on the skin IYKWIM

Zinc and Castor Oil cream is a WEAPON against nappy rash.

Try olive oil or almond oil rubbed into the area after each nappy change. It creates a barrier against moisture getting to the rash, whichis how you stop the rash developing.

I agree on the zinc and castor oil cream. I have also heard that rosehip oil is good for nappy rash, amongst other things. I haven't used it for that, but I do use it on my face - its a natural form of vitamin A (as in retinol and all those chemical anti-aging creams) and is good for scars and stretch marks and the like.

Calendula ointment is great...its a mix of beeswax and calendula - get it at any health food shop or where you buy your essential oils

Good luck with the rash, hope DS feels better soon!!

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Yep calendula is a great natural one. I swear by sudocrem which is zinc based, it worked a charm and quickly too. You'd be surprised about some of the baby preparations on the market - some of them still contain some interesting bits and pieces in them. J&J are the worst. Its simple though - read the ingredients and if there is anything you don't know what it is (you know those scientific words!) then its probably not natural.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

A big thumbs up for the Calendula Gel. Its natural and just fabulous... a little pricey, but just great!!!

You can make Calendula cream quite easily - I gave it away for Xmas pressies one year when there was a baby boom in my family!

Are you serious??!! Thats just fab!!!! You should share your recipe me thinks....
    Last edited by Pretty Butterfly; April 7th, 2008 at 08:23 AM. Reason: spelling.. as usual!

Yeah i would love to know the recipe Lulu!

The Aromababy Barrier Balm is all natural and has lots of the ingrediants that people have mentioned like sweet almond oil, calendula oil, carrot oil, evening primrose, neroli essence, chamomile and rose essential oils...etc It smells divine and is certified organic. I still have a large tub that I bought when Iz was born it is around $25 but that is nearly a year on and Im only just close to running out now...
    Good luck with it - poor lil' fella.

Quote Originally Posted by Lulu2 View Post
    You can make Calendula cream quite easily - I gave it away for Xmas pressies one year when there was a baby boom in my family!
    Hey Lulu, there's a WAH opportunity for you

Beeswax, Calendula Tincture....uummmm, my brain hurts. I'd better go look for the recipe

I totally recommend learning to make creams and lotions yourself, you should check out your local School of natural medicine. It's fun too!

It's pricey, but I found the Jurlique soothing cream really, really good.
    DD turned out to be allergic to paw-paw, so badly that it made her bottom bleed.
    I put the cream on and literally watched the red go down.
    hth

Another to second Calendula, it is a natural healing and guards against thrush and Candida infections. We use Plant Essentials which are all made by hand with Calendula, lavender and Chamomile, a hint of Rosemary and Vitamin E. We also have Healing Hippo but they are now adding zinc whcih is fine if you use disposables but not so good if you use cloth.

let us know if you want any more info on making your own as I can put you in touch with the people we get our from (they sell all the ingrediatns as well)

both Tia and Alisha had really bad nappy rash when they were little and our CHN said to use cornflour. and it surprisingly worked and cleared up in about a week or so.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast