Thread: Natural Yoghurt

Default Natural Yoghurt

hi just wanted to ask a quick question about 'natural yoghurt'..MCHN told me to get this for Owen instead of baby yoghurt and mix in my own fruits etc as then it would have no added sugar and stuff. I bought Dairy Farmers traditional yoghurt.it just looks different to normal flavoured yoghurt. it is thick(about the consistency of ricotta) and tastes a bit sour/bitter..
    is this what it's supposed to be like??having never seen it i'm not sure..
    also is this what's meant by 'natural yoghurt'??
    thanks

Yep "natural" yogurt basically means nothing added to it. I still add fruit puree to natural yogurt for Matilda because I found most of the premade stuff for babies had sugar added into it. So I always made it up with almost 1/3 fruit to 2/3 yogurt so that it was sweet enough. On its own the natural yogurt is really bitter & sour.

I buy a fruit yoghurt with no added sugar, but I still find it quite sweet so I mix it with natural yoghurt (half and half). It's not baby yoghurt though.

Its funny isn't it, how much sugar they add to alot of baby yogurt. I think there is one out there without all the sugar, but I'd have to read all the labels again to find it LOL

The Nestle baby yoghurts have about 16g sugar per 100ml tub, and the Pauls have just under 12g sugar per 100ml tub I believe. Not too sure on the other brands...

I might do your trick Fenella, of buying a normal fruit yogurt, and mixing it half half with the natural yoghurt... that way there would be a fair bit less sugar, and still very convenient!

Does anyone know, is there really any difference between a baby yoghurt and an adult yoghurt? (not talking about the adult yoghurts with artificial sweeteners though) Or are they just trying to make extra money out of us?

Ambah, if you looked at all the labels, there is probably no difference at all. That seems to be the way with the fruit juice. I can't see why you would need to buy a baby fruit juice (not mentioning brands here) when a 100% normal juice is the same? It really does pay to look at the labels.

I'm pretty sure that the petit miam baby yoghurt doesn't have any added sugar. They also do something to it to make it easier to digest that adult yoghurts - add more of the easily digested milk protein and less of the other harder to digest one I think. I kept Kynan on the petit miam baby yoghurts until recently as he didn't like natural yoghurt even with fruit added but in the last couple of weeks I've discovered the Tamar Valley yoghurts which Kynan loves. It's natural yoghurt with fruit already added but no sugar.

Hi Christie ,

Dairy farmers is what I give Kaitlyn ..it is bitter I dont like it but she loves it!. She will even eat it plain now she likes the taste so much.

Indah refuses any cold foods... Room temp is fine, but she doesnt like cold foods so all the yogurt I bough specifically for her went in the bin!
    Might try mixing the fruit one & plain that way we will eat the fruit one & I can make a curry with nat yog if she wont eat that!!!
    Coz I think I'd bought the Petit Miams & she flatly refused them & Maddy said she wasnt gonna eat baby stuff!

Hi Tracey,

I normally heat the fruit a little before adding it to the yoghurt if it is cold and then it warms it up ..mmmm yum!.

Tracey - I also heat it up a little just to take the chill off.

I would say Louis' favourite food is yoghurt as well. I buy Jalna nat yoghurt and mix with our home pureed apple and pear. Sometimes at night I also mix in some of the baby custard powder so it becomes a yummy custard, apple, yoghurt dessert (I usually make a heap so I can eat the leftoves but Louis never leaves any - hehehe)