Thread: Naughty Chair - What to do?

Default Naughty Chair - What to do?

For disipline here we use the 3 warnings then naughty chair technique. She stays there for one min (her age) then we do the sorry and cuddle thing.
    Lately though i'm finding that when I put Miss J on naughty chair she is doing something else that she knows in naughty (like taking all her clothes and nappy off).

So my question is... when I already have her on naughty chair for something else, what do I do to discipline for the second thing? Do I just say to her when I take her off that what she did (the second time) is naughty and leave it at that? Do I leave her there for an extra min?

is it just for attention seeking? do you react when she does start taking her clothes off?

I would probably try ignoring the behaviour, just keep her on the chair for whatever she did wrong first. Don't acknowledge that she is taking her clothes off, and she should realise that she isn't going to get a reaction from you and just sit there until her time is up. If she gets off the chair then don't look at her or talk to her, just pop her back on.

having said that I haven't had anything to do with the Naughty Chair yet so I could be completely wrong..lol

Quote Originally Posted by ss_storm View Post
    is it just for attention seeking? do you react when she does start taking her clothes off?

I would probably try ignoring the behaviour, just keep her on the chair for whatever she did wrong first. Don't acknowledge that she is taking her clothes off, and she should realise that she isn't going to get a reaction from you and just sit there until her time is up. If she gets off the chair then don't look at her or talk to her, just pop her back on.

having said that I haven't had anything to do with the Naughty Chair yet so I could be completely wrong..lol
    Thanks for that hun. I usually just ignore the behaviour when shes on there. She doesn't get off the chair (just undresses herself/moves the chair along the floor - has resulted in scratches on the floor)
    We have gone from spitting on the floor when she gets put on there to undressing herself ah the joys of toddlers.

I would have said the same as ss-storm, but if thats not working you could go back after the initial time and explain that the undressing is not ok and because she did it she has to stay for another 30 seconds or whatever you think is reasonable.

Eta- probably better to have your conversation about the original issue then tackle the undressing otherwise she might get a bit confused.
    So she misbehaves
    goes to time out
    undresses herself
    time out finished
    talk about behaviour
    then talk about undressing
    and do a second time out.
    Hope that makes sense
    Last edited by Calluna; July 6th, 2010 at 04:08 PM.

I think I would ignore the undressing too. Just wait til time is up, do your cuddles & sorries, then redress her as if you didn't even notice.
    When its warmer, it won't matter so much & she might forget all about it if she has hardly any clothes on to remove, lol.
    Maybe put some felt or something under the chair legs too, so it doesn't scratch the floor

Would she normally go onto the naughty chair for taking her clothes off if she wasn't already on there? Is the issue that she is taking off her clothes because she should be just sitting in her chair, thinking? I don't actually use a naughty chair, so not sure what she should be doing when they are there - does her taking her clothes off change the discipline she is receiving? If it were me, I would just concentrate on one issue at a time and ignore the stuff she is doing on the chair. Maybe she might be ready to say sorry etc earlier then the 3 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by ~clover~ View Post
    I think I would ignore the undressing too. Just wait til time is up, do your cuddles & sorries, then redress her as if you didn't even notice.
    When its warmer, it won't matter so much & she might forget all about it if she has hardly any clothes on to remove, lol.
    Maybe put some felt or something under the chair legs too, so it doesn't scratch the floor
    :yeahthat:

She is doing something she knows will get your attention, ignore the behaviour completely, and she will move on to something else. Ignore that too and eventually she will simply do what she is told.

The other thing, when she is apologisig, make sure she says what she is sorry for. Otherwise she will simply learn all she has to do is offer an empty sorry and not actually learn what behaviour it is that is the issue. So if she threw a toy, make sure she says "sorry for throwing the toy" or something similar if she can't say all the words yet lol

GL

Quote Originally Posted by Heva&Zacky View Post
    I would have said the same as ss-storm, but if thats not working you could go back after the initial time and explain that the undressing is not ok and because she did it she has to stay for another 30 seconds or whatever you think is reasonable.

Eta- probably better to have your conversation about the original issue then tackle the undressing otherwise she might get a bit confused.
    So she misbehaves
    goes to time out
    undresses herself
    time out finished
    talk about behaviour
    then talk about undressing
    and do a second time out.
    Hope that makes sense
    Yep - makes sense

Quote Originally Posted by Fig View Post
    Would she normally go onto the naughty chair for taking her clothes off if she wasn't already on there? Is the issue that she is taking off her clothes because she should be just sitting in her chair, thinking? I don't actually use a naughty chair, so not sure what she should be doing when they are there - does her taking her clothes off change the discipline she is receiving? If it were me, I would just concentrate on one issue at a time and ignore the stuff she is doing on the chair. Maybe she might be ready to say sorry etc earlier then the 3 minutes.
    Yes - if she has taken her clothes/nappy off I would normally put her on the naughty chair. I think when she does it when shes on the chair it's for attention. No changing of discipline, we only use warnings and the chair. I've had to keep moving the chair and putting it elsewhere because she drags it to the closest thing possible (toys/change table etc). Regardless of what shes on there for she is on there for 1min (atm anyway - 1min because shes one will go up to 2 mins on her b'day)

Thanks for your suggestions

I wouldn't do a double time out for someone so little. I think pick your battles is a good strategy, it seems to me that the undressing on the chair is an attention seeking thing so might muddy the waters when you are trying to discipline something else so I would ignore it personally and just redress her as Clover suggests. It would be tricky to do the three warnings when she is already on the chair and would be very confusing.

Remember that part of the punishment on the naughty chair is not getting mum's attention.

With the chair movement, how about get rid of the naughty 'chair' and get a naughty spot. You could use a cushion, bean bag, stair or something else. That would save the floor. If you want to avoid her moving to another area, maybe you could use masking tape to mark a spot on the floor and ask her to sit in there. I always try to remove the chance to do something naughty where I can, then you can control things more IYKWIM.

It is really tough to work all of this out, especially when you are pulled in so many different directions with a house to run and a new baby.