Thread: Need help now

Exclamation Need help now

My DD has a red rash/spots on her face. She's always had a red neck that we have to clean and dry constantly because it gets a bit mucky (she's a chubber) and it's never bothered her but right now she's really scracthing at it and her face (particularly left cheek) is quite red. She's not on solids =- won't eat anything so we're trying bit so feverything. She had this morning not even half a 1/4 of the spoon, of porridge (this had small amount of milk and honey in it) and she spat it out anyway so would that much cause a reaction? she seems fine otherwise except for the itchiness and redness.

could she have been bitten by something and its caused a local reaction if in doubt take her to a dr thats my motto

totally off topic, but honey isn't recomended till children are 2 years old

Jordie - I might not be much help but my DS gets a really rashy face, chin and inside his ear when he is teething.. He also refuses to eat. I think he must dribble in his sleep and it causes a rash. I really am not sure of what it could be if its not that - why don't you give the Maternal Child Health line a call to see if they have any suggestions? Good luck x

could it be thrush?

Look I would personally get it checked no matter what. Angry acute rashes need to be checked out as they can be from other causes. I've taken Jovie in for rashes before that were different to her ezcema break outs she used to get. She also had thrush and it needed to be treated, so going to a GP is a safe bet.

Hi Jordie,

I was going to suggest teething as well. DD tries to scratch where the pain is, but obviously as the pain is inside, the cheek is the closest she can get..

She is totally all over the place with food, and has the rosiest cheeks. If you are pretty confident that is isn't teething, I would def get it checked.

Not sure about teething or thrush because it seemed to come up quite quickly after "eating" (she didn't really eat!). She's in bed now so we're just monitoring her and seeing if it gets worse or better.

I know about the honey - not sure if DH did but she really didn't eat any. OUr problem is that were trying to get her interested in solids by doing tastes and she grabbed for DH porridge so he though he would give her a taste.

We have booked in to doctors this arvo but it seems to have settled down slightly. She's still scratching her neck thouhg - poor thing.

Thanks!
    Last edited by JordieC; May 5th, 2008 at 11:34 AM.

Went to docs - her face had cleared and he said it was impossible to tell what it what unless hew sa it. Her neck is still red but he said to apply sigmacort morning and night for 3 -4 days till it clears. All good now!

Jordie, any rash that comes up straight after exposure to food (could even be from touching her mouth), is very possibly an allergy. I would keep oats, honey (I would keep this away anyway) and dairy away from her until at least 12 months jic. If just touching her can cause a reaction, it could be a lot worse if she ate it.

OT, but if she is not interested in solids then she is probably not ready. Not all babies need solids at 6 months - some like my first DS are closer to 1. I would hold off for a couple of weeks and try again, and keep doing this until she's interested. Just be wary of what you do give her, as she is possibly going to have some food allergies (I say possibly, she might not, but best to be cautious).