Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Bedroom

Cool New Bedroom

We have finally gotten our act together & are re-arranging the house. Zander is getting a new room which we are painting tomorrow (YAY!). At the moment his new room is the spare room with only a sofa bed & bookshelf in there. For the last few weeks we've been having little plays in there with me telling him "this will be your new room soon" trying to sort of get him used to the idea. When we paint tomorrow I'm going to give him a little paint brush to do some of the first coat as well, so he can feel like he has helped with decorating his new room. Also he'll be helping me transfer his things into there next week.

Now my question is, should we put him in a big bed at the same time? I'm wondering if a new room & new bed would be too much of a change at the same time & whether we should do it slowly.... If we do it slowly, should we move toys & books in there first so he can get used to it, then move his cot / bed in there after a few days?

Personally i would.......a change is as good a time as any as they say. Big boy in a big boys room and all...... I think what your doing is a great idea (involving him in the process). He sounds like a good little man, with support from you, i would do the whole move in one go. There maybe teething probs, the first few nights he maybe a little unsettled, but with repetition and support, within a week he should be okay.
    Thats what we found anyway. We did the big move when DD was a little older (28 months), new bedroom, new bed. She did the transition really easy, it was like a little adventure for her......
    Good luck.

We did the same thing recently Sarah and a big bed was introduced in the new room. She took to it really well.

I would give it a shot at going straight into a big bed in the new room.

Add a wow factor to it for him like a doona cover tof his favourite character or something. We got a Dora set and thats all it took lol

I agree - big room - big bed. That's the process we're going through right now. Not sure how Ella will go but it's worth a try. Good luck! I'm sure Zander is gonna love it!!!!!

Can the bed convert? Maybe take the side off to start if you don't want to go straight to big bed. But I think he'd be fine with it

How exciting

*hugs*
    Cailin

Thats a big move and event to do at the same time ! Is he climbing out of the cot ? Does he have to go into the big bed straight away ?

I can only go off what Cait was like - at two years and two months she hated the big bed, completely freaked out in it. Tried it again a month later and she was fine. With the bed/cot change over - she used to love the garbos and I used to rattle her cot and say it was broken and the garbos were going to take it away, she was OK with that. Also, I used the side off her cot that came right off and clamped it to the side of her bed similar to a safety rail (looked OK as everything was white) and so it felt like the cot a bit too.

Don't rush it unless you have springs in your buttocks - you'll be getting up and down as much as he does :-)

OMG Kayla, you're back!! How are you???

Cai, his cot doesn't convert so it will be straight to a big bed.

It's just scary, if he's in a big bed he won't be my little baby anymore. Hmm maybe it's more an issue about me than him LOL!!

ETA: Barb, there's no urgent need for him to be moved at all & he's quite happy in the cot still. Dunno, I just thought mayb doing the change all at once would be better???
    Last edited by {sarah}; January 24th, 2007 at 07:03 PM.

I think play it by ear... Paris was 2 when she had her big bed and she was ecstatic... I think it can vary child to child. Just depends if he likes change or not?

I tend to think change all at once might be better... just put a mattress on the floor so that if he is not coping well you can always bunk in with him

*hugs*
    Cailin

Good idea Cai about the mattress on the floor I think he's pretty good with change, well has been so far!!

Logging off now to go start

We bought Asha a toddler bed from IKEA ... she was so tiny but was trying to climb out of the cot! It has adjustable ends so it can start with both ends up and then as they grow you can lower one end and then the other. I love it and it is low enough to the ground that the couple of times Asha has fallen out she hasn't badly hurt herself!

I would do the whole lot at once ... new room & new bed ... big boys room, big boys bed! I am sure he will be fine. He may seem unsettled for a few nights but it wont take long for him to settle. The only thing I will say is once you make the change, dont go backwards ... that is too confusing!

Good luck

Cheers

Thats a tough one Sarah!
    If he is happy in his cot, then maybe theres no much point in changing it right now?
    However, if he is going to be disrupted with the room change, then maybe you should get it over with and change everythin at once - including his bed?

We just put Aidyn in a single bed last weekend, and since then we are spending 4-6 hours a day settling him (this is for his nap and night sleep combined). He refuses to stay in bed without us lying on a mattress next to him, and that is the only way he will go to sleep... so it usually ends up with me or DP falling asleep on the mattress too, because we have to wait SO long for him to drop off!

Anyway, good luck with it, let me know how it goes!
    It is exciting moving to big bed, and I think it was a good thing for Aidyn - I think he 'feels' older now iykwim?
    We brought him a bedcover that has cute coloured cars and trucks on it from Best & Less for only $20, and he loves it!

awwww sniff sniff they are all growing up too quick!!

We put Matilda in a bed early for active reasons... a bed is hard for them to get used too... so doing it all at once may be a good plan. We had a mattress next to the bed and we started off sitting with our backs to her waiting. The first few weeks its a game of putting them back to bed over an hour or two until they are exhausted. With Matilda we played a game of cuddles, reading books & bottle time and then gradually worked our way out. I think finding what works best for Zander and going with that is best. Its really hard & frustrating but you will get there!

Ambah you guys are doing a great job! Its so frustrating.... Its been a year for Matilda in her bed & we still have to stand in her doorway waiting for her some nights.

Tigergirl1980 Guest

I would be more inclined to do it all at once an dget it over with, then it's not changes here and there. Then he can get used to it all at once rather than get used to one thing and then another thing changes iykwim?

I think I'm going to cry *waaah*

The new room is all set up (other than the blinds which will be delivered hopefully next week) & it's just too big LOL! My little baby can't possible have a big boys room yet. It looks beautiful & I'll put some photos on his website soon, but maaaaan my baby is going to be such a big boy in his new room.

I felt the same Sarah when we changed Aidyns room 2 weeks ago and introduced the big bed, and got rid of all the baby stuff... so sad!!

I'm sure it looks awesome though, how exciting for Zander!

The photos are all loaded up now, here

It looks a bit bare because there's still some more work to do! Underneath the poster on the wardrobe door will be some stickers that I got off ebay, I'm also watching an big soft cube ottoman thing (LOL), clock & toy tidy on ebay at the moment. Something will go on the wall above his bed, but I haven't decided what just yet! Ummmm, also his toys, bookshelf etc will go in over the next week or so while we wait for his new (white) blinds to come in.

Once all that is done, I'll add some more pictures

Debbie Lee Guest

Sarah - if I was changing rooms with Gab, I'd still have her in the cot. BUT that's specific to Gab. I don't think she's ready for a big bed at all... each child is different (she's always been just that little bit slower with her milestones I find ).
    Also... because we've already moved house, she's pretty cruisey with change... so I guess that makes a difference.
    How exciting painting the room! You're brave giving him a paint brush! LOL Very cute tho. I'm sure you'll get stacks of photos

Debbie Lee Guest

I love the colour too!!
    The photos of Zander "helping" are just adorable!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast