Thread: New Behaviours

Default New Behaviours

My 7 month old son has started some new behaviors which I thought were just cute until my husband said "is that normal" and then of course being the worry wart that I am I started to worry. I asked a few friends of mine with babies if their babies had done them but none of them had.

The first one is he is constantly rotating his wrists like he is stirring something. I thought he was just practicing a new movement but my husband was worried as my dad does the same movements all the time and he has Parkinsons. Obviously my son does not have Pakinsons but it made me worry it was an abnormal behavior.

The second is he constantly sticks his tongue out while shaking his head back and forth.

Lastly (This one isn't so cute) when he is breast feeding he can't seem to stop smacking his head (pretty hard too) and kicking his leg down hard on whatever is in reach. When I'm feeding him solids he can't seem to concentrate and all he wants to do is play with his feet.

I know I'm just being paranoid but I thought I'd ask here as i knew you guys would understand.

Well I'm not too sure about the first 1 but my daughter kicks ALL the time during b/feeding!! Cause she reach the edge of the chair she presses up against it. She likes to keep busy while feeding!!

She doesn't head butt me while feeding but I have seen her do it and my best friend's boy went through a stage where he would throw his head back against the wall - thought it was hilarious!! I think I actually read somewhere that head butting is normal! I guess like anything they are figuring out what they can do. My DD is happy watching her hands move slowly in front of her for a few minutes - it's like she is amazed at what is on the end of her arms!

She LOVES sticking her tongue out - for minutes at a time and I wonder why her mouth doesn't go dry - I have seen HEAPS of babies do this - another experiment.

TRy not to stress but if you are worried about anything ask you MCHN at next appointment. Or google it - that's what I do but I think your son sounds pretty normal to me!

HI TwinSis - how's it all going??

I've got to say, it all sounds pretty normal to me. My DD does the rotating hands thing, I think she likes the feeling - she does it when she's paying attention to her hands LOL.

DD also pats her head when feeding, especially when she's very tired, and the kicking is constant. AT one point she'd twist around and start kicking her way up my lap, like a reverse abseil up towards my boob LOL. Fortunately the novelty wore off, but she still kicks like a little donkey child, especially the arm of the chair.

The only one she doesnt' do is the tongue-poking, probably cos she's too busy cramming everything into her mouth instead. I'm sure it's just normal, but you could always ask your health provider if your worry persists!

Thanks so much you guys, I really appreciate it. I feel a lot better knowing other babies do the same things. I can tell my husband and then tell him not to get me all worried again LOL

Marydean - OMG I laughed so hard at the Donkey child comment. Cameron is most definitely a donkey child too! Too funny

Jordie - oh good the wall smacking makes me feel better. He doesn't head butt me he takes his fist and smacks himself in the head over and over. I don't get how it doesn't hurt!!

Just this morning Mackenzie was knocking her head with fists while feeding!! Not hard - just for something to do with hehr sare hand. At least she wasn't pulling my hair or earrings!!

Hi Twin Sis,

Was going to reply yesterday but DD woke at the woring time.

Anyhow, although I FF, Kimmy kicks and pressed the end of the lounge with her feet, and hits whatever she can with her hands..

When she isn't feeding, poking her tongue out is a favorite past time and experimenting moves with her hands seems fun too..

I don't think you have anything to worry about!!!

Take care
    Heather

Thanks so much for your replies. You've been most reassuring