Thread: New Member

melsimon Guest

Smile New Member

Hi, I've never done this before so please bear with me. I have a newborn son, Benjamin, he is 17 days old today and he is adorable. I was just wondering how do you cope with a newborn that just wont sleep during the days? In the last 3 days i'm lucky if he gets a 1 hour sleep between 9am and 5pm. He is drinking/feeding all the time but just wont doze off the sleep all he does is cry and scream. Has anyone got any ideas of what i can do to stop him crying and having a good sleep?

Will he have a lap-nap while you put your feet up and watch TV?
    You might want to try a sling or maybe lying down next to him and both having a nap together.
    I used to pop my babies in the pram and go for a walk sometimes. The motion would often help them doze off and the walk was good for my mental health.

I'm just going to move this into baby and toddler for you.
    Welcome to BB by the way

melsimon Guest

Yeah he will go to sleep while im BF him but as soon as you put him down he just cries.
    Its all a bit confusing, this is our first child and trying to workout his cries and what he wants is all too much sometimes, but we are getting there.
    I think i will go out an buy a sling, sounds like that might be a good idea.
    Thanks for the tips will let u know how i go
    Thanks dachlostar

Hi my DS is about 3 1/2 months old now and I am still working out when he is tired.

Sometimes they don't sleep because they have a little wind, and sometimes it's because they are just way overtired.

In the early days my Hug a Bub really helped me out. it's like a baby sling. Basically if you have some sort of carrier and you can wear your baby they end up feeling secure and their head is near your heart which is a comforting and familiar noise. plus if you walk around the house for a few minutes the motion puts them to sleep just like when they were on the inside. then you can sit down and put your feet up, eat your lunch, chat on belly belly

melsimon Guest

Hi Rebecca, Thanks for the reply.

I think that Benjamin does have a bit of wind and he is very overtired, he yawns all the time but the little bloke doesn't want to give in the going to sleep. He is great a nite but day he is testing me i'm sure of it.

I think i will get my husband to ge me a sling, i can't get out at the moment coz i had a casearan and not allowed to drive at the moment.

It would be great to be able to eat my lunch and put my feet up - luckily at the moment my darling husband is watching Benjamin.

Thanks for the advice, let u know how i go !!!!!

Hi there
    Is it only just happening? We got told around the 3 week mark they start to be awake more and become more unsettled, like a growth spurt, they sometimes call them wonder weeks. I had trouble with my son when he was around the 4 month mark, he would only sleep for 20 minutes, then be wide awake. The only thing that worked for me was wrapping him, once we mastered it! he hated it initially, he would sleep for 2 hours at a time.
    Its hard in the beginning, but it does get better.
    Good luck with him

def try a hug a bub or some type of sling. As soon as I put Angus in mine he would instantly be asleep and settled, even while I banged away cooking or doing dishes etc!! Was a life saver!! Are you wrapping him?? What about a dummy? Just ideas, not sure, all babies are so different!! Good Luck!!!

melsimon Guest

Hi, sorry for the late reply, ive been wrapping him and giving him his dummy but as soon as you put him down he starts crying. He will sleep in my arms but he's a heavy little boy to carry/hold all the time. He slept last night woke up 3 times, but today he hasn't slept since 7am he has just been put down now but he is still stirring. I guess i'll just have to wait and see how he goes over the next few weeks.

Wrapping worked well for us, and was the advice from the paediatrician too. I found that he would start crying when we first put him down, but they were sort of sleep screams - he'd make these noises for about 5 mins then go to sleep. I used to sit and watch the clock and if he wasn't asleep in 5 mins, try something else, but after a while it was consistent and he'd fall asleep faster and faster.

Other advice that helped us was making sure he wasn't too hot, and getting the room dark and quiet.