thread: Newborn age?

Jul 2006

Question Newborn age?

When does a newborn stopped being called one?

To me a newborn is when they are 'new' so up until 4 weeks old.

What age do you stop referring to them as a newborn?

BellyBelly Member

Jul 2006

I'd say up to 6-8 weeks.

Dec 2007
    Sunny Qld

I thought technically it was 12 weeks? Then they are a baby... then when they hit 1 they're a toddler?

I'm sure I read that somewhere

Administrator
    Add Rouge on Facebook

Jun 2003
    Ubiquity

I'm pretty sure its 4 weeks too... I think its in the blue book.

ETA: Web definitions : Newborn = Neonate. Pertaining to the first 4 weeks of life.

Jul 2006

Thought so Cai...

Kinda gets on my nerves (but not to much) when people say they have a newborn....but bub is 2+ months old already...LOL

Was wondering when everyone else stopped referring to their babies as newborns!

SugarDust Guest

Lachlan is a baby as he will be 12 weeks on Saturday and we have been calling him a baby since 4 weeks!

Jul 2007
    melb

first 28 days is a newborn. (if they get sick in this time they generally get admitted to a SCN rather than peads ward)

BellyBelly Member

Dec 2005

i would say 4 weeks too. (awww, my little one is a baby now)! :-)

Apr 2008

4 weeks. She is now my baby girl!

DoubleK Guest

for me, i would tend to say newborn for 1-5 weeks, then say '6 week old bub' KWIM?

Add Daffodil Mumma on Facebook

May 2008
    Rural NSW

Interesting question!! I never realised there was a technical "newborn" stage as such....but that makes sense especially when they are sick! To be honest I never thought of my son as newborn, Im not sure why.....he just looked "old" right from when he was born if that makes any sense!

Apr 2009
    Addict-ville

To be honest I never thought of my son as newborn, Im not sure why.....he just looked "old" right from when he was born if that makes any sense!
    Same here. Since my LO was born everyone has always said he's so aware. Always looking at everything and trying to grab it and all. I said he's got an old soul. I dont really believe in reincarnation but there's no other way for me to describe it.

BellyBelly Member

May 2005
    Brisbane

Hi Kim - I still call L a baby and he is 18months. I suspect even when he is 18 years old I will still call him my baby. LOL

Jul 2006

LOL Saffi i say Jasmine is my baby girl