Thread: NIght feeds for 6 mth old

Sweet _Pea Guest

Default NIght feeds for 6 mth old

For the past few weeks DD has been waking up twice during the night. I have always just fed her (she drinks a full feed) and then popped her back into her cot where she falls back to sleep.

She is fully breast fed. I have recently started her on solids so I am wondering if this may be upsetting her tummy at night. Or maybe the sensation of having something other than breastmilk feels strange in her.

She has just turned 6 months so I also thought that this could be due to a growth spurt? Today I have decided to increase the amount of daily feeds so see if this helps.

Any advice or insight you could offer me?

Hi Sweet Pea,
    This happened to all my children at about this age. All were breastfed.
    I do not think it's due to solids upsetting her tummy, or to the strangeness of new foods. I think it's a big growth spurt & she probably needs a bit more to eat during the day (solid foods).
    Their growth usually goes from plateau to plateau. So, it's normal for your DD to make a big spurt like that. If you respond to her need, she will level off. I would suggest trying to keep your number of breast feeds the same, but add on more solids. Is she eating two meals a day? I found it a bit scary with my first that he liked solids so much (I was afraid he'd wean off the breast) but a BF infant who's been going for six full months is not going to just give up the breast.
    It may take a few weeks before things settle. LOL, I am going through the same thing now with DD.
    I had best luck with meals at 11-12 and again in late afternoon. HTH!